Upper Hill War Memorial


Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:
Village Green, Upper Hill, Herefordshire, HR6 0JZ


Ordnance survey map of Upper Hill War Memorial
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1439042 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Jun-2019 at 00:20:55.


Statutory Address:
Village Green, Upper Hill, Herefordshire, HR6 0JZ

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County of Herefordshire (Unitary Authority)
Birley with Upper Hill
National Grid Reference:


First World War memorial by William G Storr Barber, with a further name added after the Second World War.

Reasons for Designation

Upper Hill War Memorial is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons: * Historic interest: as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on the local community, and the sacrifice it made in the conflicts of the C20; * Architectural interest: an ornate and striking sandstone cross with carved decorative details; * Designer: William G Storr Barber known for his carved statue of St Ethelbert in Leominster church as well as his remodelling of Leominster’s Old Town Hall.


The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever with tens of thousands of memorials erected across England, both as a result of the huge impact the loss of three quarters of a million British lives had on communities and the official policy of not repatriating the dead, which meant that the memorials provided the main focus of the grief felt at this great loss.

One such memorial was raised at Upper Hill as a permanent testament to the sacrifice made by the members of the local community who lost their lives in the First World War.

William G Storr Barber (active 1908 - 1920s) was the sculptor of the memorial. He was a monumental mason and sculptor originally based in Leominster where he carved a statue of St Ethelbert (1908) for the Catholic Church in the town as well as restoring the Old Town Hall (1909). He seems to have moved to the capital sometime between then and the early 1920s, for his statue for Leominster’s war memorial (1922) was modelled in his London studio. He was responsible for a number of memorials in the Hereford and Worcester area including Dilwyn and Kimbolton.

Following the Second World War, a dedication was added to commemorate the one fallen of that conflict.

In 2015 the memorial was conserved with the help of grant aid from the War Memorials Trust.


MATERIALS: sandstone.

DESCRIPTION: Upper Hill War Memorial consists of a wheel-head cross on a tapered shaft decorated with an incised Sword of Sacrifice on the front face.

The shaft is set upon a two-tiered plinth and a single-step base. The front of the plinth has two recessed panels, one on each tier. The upper tier carries the inscription which reads TO THE GLORY OF GOD/ THE GIVER OF VICTORY AND/ TO THE UNDYING MEMORY OF/ THE MEN OF UPPER HILL/ WHO LAID DOWN THEIR LIVES/ IN THE GREAT WAR 1914 - 1919. The lower tier is incised with the names of the fallen followed by the inscription BY THEIR DEATH WE LIVE.

The left face of the lower tier bears a name from 1920 whilst the right face carries the details of a fallen submariner from the Second World War.


War Memorials Online, accessed 21 July 2016 from www.warmemorialsonline.org.uk/node/192532
War Memorials Register, accessed 21 July 2016 from www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/33115
War Memorials Trust, accessed 21 July 2016 from www.warmemorials.org/search-grants/?gID=1250


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].