Ibstock War Memorial

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1440138

Date first listed: 20-Jan-2017

Location Description:

Statutory Address: Central Avenue, Junction of East Walk and West Walk, Ibstock, Leicestershire, LE67 6QE

Map

Ordnance survey map of Ibstock War Memorial
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1440138 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 13-Dec-2018 at 01:17:30.

Location

Statutory Address: Central Avenue, Junction of East Walk and West Walk, Ibstock, Leicestershire, LE67 6QE

Location Description:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Leicestershire

District: North West Leicestershire (District Authority)

Parish: Ibstock

National Grid Reference: SK4066210392

Summary

First World War memorial, unveiled and dedicated in 1921, with later additions for the Second World War. It was designed by Goddard and Wain of Coalville and sculpted by Wells and Company of Hugglescote. Also included in the listing are the railings which enclose the memorial.

Reasons for Designation

Ibstock War Memorial, unveiled and dedicated in 1921, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons: * Historic interest: as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on the local community, and the sacrifice it made in the conflicts of the C20; * Design interest: as an accomplished and well-realised war memorial with a sculptural form.

History

The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever with tens of thousands of memorials erected across England. One such memorial was unveiled and dedicated at Ibstock on 19 February 1921 to commemorate 80 men of the parish who died during the conflict. Constructed at a cost of £840, it was designed by Goddard and Wain of Coalville and sculpted by Wells and Company of Hugglescote. Following the Second World War the names of a further 48 local men who died during that conflict were added.

Details

First World War memorial, unveiled and dedicated in 1921, with later additions for the Second World War. It was designed by Goddard and Wain of Coalville and sculpted by Wells and Company of Hugglescote.

MATERIALS: Portland stone.

PLAN: it is rectangular on plan, aligned NE to SW.

DESCRIPTION: the memorial stands on an island in the middle of Central Avenue, at its junction with West Walk and East Walk. Of a Doric style, it comprises a single-step concrete base on which stand three pedestals linked by short walls. Standing on the central pedestal is a cenotaph with clasping pilasters decorated with carved wreaths and a stilted segmental pediment. The side pedestals both support four square columns. All three elements are crowned by a large entablature which rises to an arch over the cenotaph. The NW and SE sides of the memorial both bear identical First World War dedicatory inscriptions; the cornices of the entablature are inscribed FOR GOD, KING AND COUNTRY, while the pediments of the cenotaph read IN PROUD AND GRATEFUL MEMORY OF THE / GALLANT MEN OF IBSTOCK / WHO GAVE THEIR LIVES IN THE GREAT WAR. Slate tablets in the centre of the cenotaph bear the names of the 80 men who died. The flanking pedestals are inscribed on both sides with the dates 1914 and 1919. Slate tablets on both sides of the central pedestal are inscribed with the names of the 48 fallen of the Second World War. They are in turn flanked by the inscribed dates of 1939 and 1945. Just above ground level the pedestal returns are inscribed GODDARD & WAIN LLRIBA / ARCHITECTS and WELLS & CO / SCULPTORS.

The memorial is enclosed by cast iron railings with gates at each end.



This List entry has been amended to add the source for War Memorials Online. This source was not used in the compilation of this List entry but is added here as a guide for further reading, 20 February 2017.

Sources

Websites
Leicestershire County Council's War Memorials Project website , accessed 1 December 2016 from http://www.leicestershirewarmemorials.co.uk/war/memorials/view/577
Public Monuments and Sculpture Association's National Recording Project , accessed 3 October 2016 from http://pmsa.cch.kcl.ac.uk/pmsa-database/2078/
War Memorials Online, accessed 20 February 2017 from https://www.warmemorialsonline.org.uk/memorial/130554
War Memorials Register, accessed 3 October 2016 from http://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/37865

End of official listing