St Clement's, Oxford War Memorial

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1441516
Date first listed:
14-Feb-2017
Statutory Address:
Churchyard of St Clement's Church, Marston Road, Oxford, OX3 3EE

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1441516.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 30-Jul-2021 at 23:21:12.

Location

Statutory Address:
Churchyard of St Clement's Church, Marston Road, Oxford, OX3 3EE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Oxfordshire
District:
Oxford (District Authority)
Parish:
Non Civil Parish
National Grid Reference:
SP5275806309

Summary

First World War memorial unveiled on 4 April 1921.

Reasons for Designation

St Clement's, Oxford War Memorial is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons: * Historic interest: as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on this community, and the sacrifices it has made in the conflicts of the C20; * Architectural interest: an ornate and striking Portland stone Latin cross with fine lettering; * Group value: with St Clement's Church (Grade II*).

History

The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever with tens of thousands of memorials erected across England, both as a result of the huge impact the loss of three quarters of a million British lives had on communities and the official policy of not repatriating the dead, which meant that the memorials provided the main focus of the grief felt at this great loss.

One such memorial was raised at St Clement’s, Oxford as a permanent testament to the sacrifice made by the members of the local community who lost their lives in the First World War.

In 1921 Mrs Herbert Morrell of Headington Hill Hall (which lies in St Clement’s parish) gave some land to the south of St Clement's Church for an extension to its burial ground, and the war memorial was erected here. The memorial was erected at a cost of £192 by Messrs Axtell and Son of Oxford (who erected many Oxfordshire war memorials). The money was mostly raised by the parishioners of St Clement’s.

At a ceremony on 4 April 1921 the memorial was unveiled by Mrs Herbert Morrell and dedicated by the Bishop of Oxford. A scroll inside the church unveiled on the same day lists the 108 men of the parish who died.

There are no later additions or changes to this memorial.

Details

MATERIALS: Portland stone.

DESCRIPTION: the memorial stands in the burial ground of St Clement’s Parish Church. This memorial is approximately 4.5 metres high and comprises a Latin cross surmounting a tapering octagonal column with a carved collar. This stands on an octagonal stone pedestal which is carved with broach stops. This in turn stands on a three-stepped octagonal base.

The inscription is in ornate medieval-style lead lettering on the front side of the pedestal (which faces west towards the church), and a further line is on the riser of the top step immediately below.

On the pedestal the inscription reads: TO THE GLORY / OF GOD / AND IN HONOURED / AND GRATEFUL / MEMORY OF THE / 108 MEN FROM / ST CLEMENTS / WHO GAVE THEIR LIVES FOR THEIR COUNTRY / IN THE GREAT WAR / 1914 – 1918.

On the riser of step below: THEIR NAME LIVETH FOR EVERMORE.

This List entry has been amended to add the source for War Memorials Online. This source was not used in the compilation of this List entry but is added here as a guide for further reading, 28 July 2017.

Sources

Websites
War Memorials Online, accessed 28 July 2017 from https://www.warmemorialsonline.org.uk/memorial/92271
War Memorials Register, accessed 9 November 2016 from http://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/32059
Other
Order of Service for the consecration of the extension to the St Clement’s burial ground and the dedication of the war memorial (Oxfordshire Record Office, PA Pamphlets OXFO/725.94/SCLE)
Oxford Journal Illustrated of 6 April 1921, p. 12
The war memorial account of St Clement’s Church (Oxfordshire Record Office, MSS. D.D. Par. Oxford St Clement’s, p. 41)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].