Forest Row Camp War Memorial

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1441756
Date first listed:
20-Feb-2017
Statutory Address:
c240m South of Ashdown Place, West Course, Royal Ashdown Forest Golf Course, Forest Row, East Sussex, RH18 5LR

Map

Ordnance survey map of Forest Row Camp War Memorial
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1441756 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Aug-2019 at 06:24:22.

Location

Statutory Address:
c240m South of Ashdown Place, West Course, Royal Ashdown Forest Golf Course, Forest Row, East Sussex, RH18 5LR

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
East Sussex
District:
Wealden (District Authority)
Parish:
Forest Row
National Grid Reference:
TQ4225433413

Summary

First World War memorial, unveiled 1926, to all the soldiers who had been based at the temporary army training camp at Forest Row during the First World War.

Reasons for Designation

Forest Row Camp War Memorial, which stands on the Royal Ashdown Forest Golf Club West Course, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons: * Historic interest: as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on this local area, and the sacrifice made by men of the regiments encamped at Forest Row during the First World War; * Architectural interest: a simple yet poignant memorial in the Classical style.

History

In August 1914 the Conservators of Ashdown Forest resolved to place the forest at the disposal of the War Office, if required. A tented Army camp was established at Forest Row, followed soon after by a hutted encampment. Built near to Ashdown Place and including stabling for 500 horses, controversy amongst the Commoners about the camp location, and behaviour of encamped soldiers, continued throughout the First World War.

At first the 1st South Western Mounted Brigade, comprised of various Yeomanry regiments, moved into the camp. Resident from November 1914, the Brigade was broken up and its regiments moved into different formations in 1915. The Brigade was followed by 66th (East Lancashire) Division Royal Field Artillery, resident until embarkation for France in February 1917. 1B Reserve Brigade Royal Field Artillery, comprised of 4th, 5th and 6th Batteries, was also encamped at Forest Row until 1919. The camp was vacant by November 1919 but a claim for compensation made by the Conservators was not settled with the War Office until 1922.

As many as 30,000 soldiers had passed through Forest Row camp. A proposal to erect a memorial to these men was led by the British Legion and Colonel Brownlow (a local resident). A wooden model was erected while permission was sought from the Conservators. Suitable stone was offered by Mr Douglas Freshfield of Forest Row: this was prepared by Messrs H and E Waters of Highgate Green and carved by Mr H Bacon of Crawley. The memorial was unveiled on 4 April 1926 by Major-General Gleichen KCVO CB CMG DSO and dedicated by Reverend WG Newham.

Details

MATERIALS: stone war memorial.

DESCRIPTION: the memorial is located beside the fairway of the fourth hole of the West Course of the Royal Ashdown Forest Golf Club. It takes the form of a pillar with moulded and curved top. Within the arched head on the front face is a carved cross in a laurel wreath surround. The base of the pillar has four very shallow steps and the whole stands on a single stepped raised base.

The front face of the memorial is inscribed THIS STONE IS SET UP AS/ AN ENDURING RECORD OF/ A CAMP/ WHERE MANY THOUSANDS OF/ YEOMANRY AND ARTILLERY/ WERE TRAINED DURING THE/ GREAT WAR/ AND IN REMEMBRANCE OF/ THOSE WHO WENT ON TO FIGHT/ AND GAVE THEIR LIVES/ FOR THEIR COUNTRY/ 1914-1918.

This List entry has been amended to add the source for War Memorials Online. This source was not used in the compilation of this List entry but is added here as a guide for further reading, 2 March 2017.

Sources

Websites
Conservators of Ashdown Forest Minute Book 1913-1923, accessed 22/11/2016 from http://www.ashdownforest.org/enjoy/history/docs/Ashdown_Forest_Historical_Minute_Book_1913_1923.pdf
Conservators of Ashdown Forest Minute Book 1923-1931, accessed 22/11/2016 from http://www.ashdownforest.org/enjoy/history/docs/Ashdown_Forest_Historical_Minute_Book_1923_1931.pdf
Smith, M. (2015) The Military on Ashdown Forest 1793-1925, accessed 22/11/2016 from http://www.nutleyhistorical.org.uk/index_htm_files/THE%20MILITARY%20ON%20ASHDOWN%20FOREST%20%201793-%201924.pdf
War Memorials Online, accessed 2 March 2017 from https://www.warmemorialsonline.org.uk/memorial/122326
War Memorials Register, accessed 22/11/2016 from http://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/121

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].