Old Coulsdon War Memorial


Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1442725

Date first listed: 27-Feb-2017

Statutory Address: Junction of Canon's Hill and Coulsdon Road, Old Coulsdon, Surrey, CR5 1HB


Ordnance survey map of Old Coulsdon War Memorial
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1442725 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Nov-2018 at 16:26:22.


Statutory Address: Junction of Canon's Hill and Coulsdon Road, Old Coulsdon, Surrey, CR5 1HB

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Greater London Authority

District: Croydon (London Borough)

Parish: Non Civil Parish

National Grid Reference: TQ3114158150


War memorial in the form of a tall Portland stone cross on a plinth.

Reasons for Designation

Old Coulsdon War Memorial is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:

* Historic interest: as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on the local community, and the sacrifices it made in the First World War;

* Design: a well executed and imposing Portland stone cross war memorial.


The aftermath of the World Wars saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever with tens of thousands of memorials erected across the country. One such memorial was raised in Old Coulsdon as a permanent testament to the sacrifices made by the members of the local community. It was unveiled on 14th September 1919. It was moved circa 7m to the north following road widening works to Canon's Hill in 1933. The memorial was cleaned and refurbished by Croydon Council in 2014 and a remembrance service held later in the year by the local community.


Tall pillar topped by a cross; at the base of the pillar is a pelican piercing its breast, the blood feeding three chicks, a centuries-old symbol of self-sacrifice, specifically the Passion of Christ. This rests on an octagonal plinth which bears the inscription: BY THE LONG ROAD THEY / TROD WITH SO MUCH FAITH AND / WITH SUCH DEVOTED AND SELF / SACRIFICING BRAVERY WE HAVE ARRIVED / AT VICTORY AND TODAY THEY HAVE / THEIR REWARD. The panels at the sides and back are inscribed with the names of the Fallen below the inscription: THESE MEN / OF COULSDON / GAVE THEIR LIVES / IN THE WAR / 1914 - 1919. The memorial rests on a large square base, sections of this and the plinth are decorated with inlaid stones.

This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 07/03/2017


War Memorials Online, accessed 23 December 2016 from https://www.warmemorialsonline.org.uk/memorial/177374
War Memorials Register, accessed 16th December 2016 from http://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/825

End of official listing