North Cray War Memorial

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1444904

Date first listed: 03-Jul-2017

Statutory Address: St James Church, North Cray Road, North Cray, Kent, DA14 5EU

Map

Ordnance survey map of North Cray War Memorial
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1444904 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Dec-2018 at 12:49:25.

Location

Statutory Address: St James Church, North Cray Road, North Cray, Kent, DA14 5EU

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Greater London Authority

District: Bexley (London Borough)

Parish: Non Civil Parish

National Grid Reference: TQ4842971761

Summary

War memorial in the form a stone Celtic cross on a plinth, unveiled 1920.

Reasons for Designation

North Cray War Memorial is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons: * Historic interest: as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on the local community, and the sacrifices it made in the conflicts of the C20; * Design: as a dignified stone Celtic cross war memorial; * Group value: with the adjacent Grade II-listed St James's Church, church walls and listed tombs.

History

The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever with tens of thousands of memorials erected across the country. This was the result of both the huge impact on communities of the loss of three quarters of a million British lives, and also the official policy of not repatriating the dead, which meant that the memorials provided the main focus of the grief felt at this great loss. One such memorial was raised in North Cray at St James's Church as a permanent testament to the sacrifices made by the members of the local community. It was unveiled in the spring of 1920 at a cost of £130, a sum raised largely by the female members of local, wealthy land-owning families such as the Norths of Vale Mascal, Vansittarts of North Cray Place and Vesey Holts of Mount Mascal. Further inscriptions were added after the Second World War to commemorate the Fallen of that conflict.

Details

Tall wheeled Celtic cross of granite. The front face of the cross has knot-work carvings and it rests on a small platform atop a trapezoidal plinth. The front face of the small platform reads "1914 -1918" and the back face "1939 - 1945". On the front face of the plinth is the inscription: THE . GLORIOUS . DEAD / (names) / FOR . GOD ., KING . AND . COUNTRY; on the back: (names). The whole rests on a stone platform.

This List entry has been amended to add the source for War Memorials Online. This source was not used in the compilation of this List entry but is added here as a guide for further reading, 20 July 2017.

Sources

Websites
War Memorials Online, accessed 20 July 2017 from https://www.warmemorialsonline.org.uk/memorial/195940
War Memorials Register, accessed 15 February 2017 from http://www.iwm.org.uk_www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/58111

End of official listing