Frampton War Memorial Obelisk

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1448495
Date first listed:
24-Aug-2017
Statutory Address:
Opposite Memorial Cottage, Junction of Thornimans Lane and Middlegate Road, Frampton, Boston, Lincolnshire, PE20 1AW

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1448495.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Oct-2020 at 10:57:01.

Location

Statutory Address:
Opposite Memorial Cottage, Junction of Thornimans Lane and Middlegate Road, Frampton, Boston, Lincolnshire, PE20 1AW

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Lincolnshire
District:
Boston (District Authority)
Parish:
Frampton
National Grid Reference:
TF3229539202

Summary

First World War memorial obelisk, unveiled 1922, with later additions for the Second World War.

Reasons for Designation

Frampton War Memorial Obelisk, which stands in an enclosure at the junction of Thornimans Lane and Middlegate Road, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:

Historic interest: * As an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on this local community, and the sacrifice it made in the conflicts of the C20; Architectural interest: * A simple yet well-proportioned granite obelisk in the Classical style;

Group value: * With Grade-II listed Memorial Cottage.

History

The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever with tens of thousands of memorials erected across England. This was the result of both the huge impact on communities of the loss of three quarters of a million British lives, and also the official policy of not repatriating the dead which meant that the memorials provided the main focus of the grief felt at this great loss. One such memorial was raised at Frampton as a permanent testament to the sacrifice made by the members of the local community who lost their lives in the First World War. The memorial was unveiled by Major Cecil Walker Bell on 9 April 1922 to commemorate the 16 men of the parish who had died during the First World War. The memorial was designed and built by the masons George Maile and Son Ltd of Euston Road, London, who also designed the war memorials at Kirton, Wooburn, Fowlmere and Pirton (all Grade II-listed). The memorial was built at a cost of c£250.

The unveiling was part of a ceremony led by local clergyman Reverend Robert G McClellan and attended by parishioners. After the ceremony a muffled peal was rung on the church bells. Following the Second World War an additional inscription was added to include one man who had died in that conflict.

Details

The memorial is located within a small garden on the corner of Thorniman Lane and Middlegate Road, c13m to the south-west of Memorial Cottage (Grade II). It takes the form of a 3.7m tall obelisk of Cornish granite. Standing on a square of concrete within a grassed roadside enclosure, it has a square base, a tapering square plinth bearing the inscription, and a four sided, pyramidal, obelisk rising above.

The inscription is on the eastern face of the memorial, facing the road. In raised lead lettering, painted black, it reads ERECTED/ IN MEMORY OF/ THOSE WHO GAVE THEIR LIVES/ FOR KING AND COUNTRY IN/ THE GREAT WARS/ 1914-1918/ (16 NAMES)/ 1939-1945 (1 NAME). The firm of masons is recorded in small metal letters on the southern face of the memorial: G.MAILE & SON/ EUSTON RD LONDON.

This List entry has been amended to add sources for War Memorials Online and the War Memorials Register. These sources were not used in the compilation of this List entry but are added here as a guide for further reading, 25 September 2017.

Sources

Books and journals
Credland, M, The First World War Memorials of Lincolnshire, (2014), 20, 84
Websites
War Memorials Online, accessed 25 September 2017 from https://www.warmemorialsonline.org.uk/memorial/253504
War Memorials Register, accessed 1 January 2017 from http://www.iwm.org.uk_www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/2771

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].