First World War memorial, unveiled on 10 November 1917.
Reasons for Designation
Patrington War Memorial, which is situated at the junction of Market Place and Northside, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on the local community, and the sacrifice it made during the First World War.
* as an example of an early First World War memorial which was erected before the end of the conflict.
* a well-executed stone monolith memorial.
* with the Grade II listed buildings in the vicinity including Green Farmhouse and the Manor House.
The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever with tens of thousands of memorials erected across England. This was the result of both the huge impact on communities of the loss of three quarters of a million British lives, and also the official policy of not repatriating the dead which meant that the memorials provided the main focus of the grief felt at this great loss. However, this trend had its roots not in the wake of the war but in the midst of the conflict.
As the war progressed and the number of casualties increased memorials were already being built to remember the dead and those still serving on the battlefields abroad. These took the form of private memorials to family members but also a growing number were being erected by, or on behalf of, local communities. The earliest known example of a community memorial is thought to be the War Memorial in Rawtenstall Cemetery, Lancashire (Grade II). Erected in September 1915 at the instigation of Councillor Carrie Whitehead, the intention is clearly inscribed on the memorial for it to act as “some comfort to those who lost men very dear to them.” Another form of early First World War community memorial was the street shrine. This practice originated in the East End of London, but was soon adopted in other towns to commemorate those from a particular street. In some instances these shrines also included relatives from other streets, while some covered whole districts. Surviving examples include those in Eton Street (erected October 1916) and Sharp Street (erected May 1917) in Kingston upon Hull. The erection of memorials in the midst of the conflict was considered controversial by some but by 1917 the desire among communities for some form of commemoration was clear.
The village of Patrington is an example of one such community which chose to erect a memorial before the end of the First World War as a permanent testament to the on-going sacrifice being made by members of the village during the conflict. It was unveiled on 10 November 1917 by Colonel Dwyer Hampton. The cost of the memorial was met by funds raised via public subscription. It originally carried 89 names of those from the village that were serving in the First World War; at the time of the unveiling eight of these men had already died in the conflict. Currently there are 110 names on the memorial commemorating the 87 men who served and returned and the 23 men who died.
It was built by W P Everingham and Sons Limited, local monumental masons based in Hedon. They also built the Grade II-listed Sunk Island War Memorial, East Riding of Yorkshire, which was erected later in 1920.
First World War memorial, 1917.
DESCRIPTION: Patrington War Memorial is located along the main road, on a grassed area at the junction of Market Place and Northside. There are Grade II-listed buildings in the vicinity of the memorial including Green Farmhouse and the Manor House.
It takes the form of a square monolith consisting of four marble tablets with engaged granite columns to each corner; the columns each have a moulded cap and foot. Together they support a square, stone slab entablature with granite ball finials to each corner. To the west face of the entablature is a pair of palm branches carved in relief. The memorial stands on a narrow, square plinth which is chamfered to the corners and the top edge of each face. The whole is atop a two-stepped, stone base.
The four tablets carry the inscription and names in raised leaded lettering. The west tablet has the words PATRINGTON/ ROLL/ OF HONOUR/ (25 NAMES), while the east tablet reads IN/ REMEMBRANCE/ 1914-1919/ (23 NAMES). The remaining 62 names are listed on the north and south tablets. The names of those who died are preceded by the symbol of a cross pattée, while family groups are denoted by brackets and the letters “DO” (which are used as ditto marks) under surnames.
SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: the memorial is enclosed by small fence posts with a pair of chains hung between each one. Three stone planters* have been placed on the bottom step of the base.
* Pursuant to s1 (5A) of the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 (‘the Act’) it is declared that these aforementioned features are not of special architectural or historic interest.