War memorial, erected 1921, with additional Second World War inscriptions.
Reasons for Designation
Eldon War Memorial, erected 1921, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* as an eloquent witness to the tragic impacts of world events on this mining community, and the sacrifices it made in the conflicts of the C20.
* it is a dignified monument executed in good quality materials, which provides an elegant and fitting tribute to the Fallen of the district from both World Wars.
The Eldon war memorial was erected as a memorial to the 133 men of the Eldon District (Eldon, Old Eldon, and Eldon Lane) who fell during the First World War. The memorial was paid for by subscription and designed by architects Kellett and Clayton, of Bishop Auckland. It was unveiled and dedicated on Sunday 24 September 1921 at a ceremony, which was attended by large crowds and a great many miners from the Eldon Lodge of the Durham Miner’s Association. A timber platform had been erected for the dignitaries, including the Bishop Herbert Hensley Henson (Bishop of Durham), Reverend John Francis Clayton (Domestic Chaplain to the Bishop of Durham), Lord Gainford (Liberal politician), Ben Spoor (Labour Party Member of Parliament for Bishop Auckland), and a County Councillor. Following a short sermon given by the Rev Clayton, the memorial was unveiled by Lord Gainford, and the Bishop dedicated it; further speeches were then followed by the Dead March, the Last Post, and the Benediction, drawing the proceedings to a close. The memorial was re-dedicated in 1956, when the four panels on the base received additional inscriptions, commemorating the 37 men killed during the Second World War. The memorial was restored in 2004.
War memorial, erected 1921, with Second World War additions
MATERIALS: granite cross and base on a stepped Yorkstone podium.
DESCRIPTION: this war memorial stands within the north-eastern corner of the churchyard of the Church of St Mark. The memorial comprises an octagonal granite column, surmounted by a Gothic crucifix, with a rectangular base, set on a carved crenelated corbelled octagonal cornice. The chamfered sides of the column have rounded stops and it has a rectangular base with chamfered edges to the front and rear, which has leaded letters that read SACRED TO THE MEMORY OF / THE MEN OF THIS DISTRICT WHO GAVE / THEIR LIVES IN THE GREAT WAR. / 1914-1918. The column is mounted on a pedestal that has canted plain panels to the front and back and framed recessed panels to the two sides, raised on a staged pedestal base; the upper stage widens slightly to the base, while the lower base is formed by a rectangular plinth with projecting square corners with inclined panels set between. The front and rear panels of the pedestal record the names of the Fallen from the First World War in three columns and the side panels in two columns; the columns of names on the side panels and one on the rear panel extend down onto the upper stage of the pedestal base. The front panel of the upper stage has leaded letters that read ''THEY DIED THAT WE MIGHT LIVE IN FREEDOM AND PEACE” / ERECTED BY PUBLIC SUBSCRIPTION. The inclined front panel of the lower stage of the pedestal base has leaded letters that read ALSO OF THOSE WHO GAVE THEIR LIVES IN / THE SECOND WORLD WAR 1939-1945. All of the inclined panels record the names of the Fallen from the Second World War and three names are recorded on the square projecting corners. The granite memorial stands on a rectangular stepped stone podium, surfaced with paving slabs and edging stones.
This List entry has been amended to add the source for War Memorials Online. This source was not used in the compilation of this List entry but is added here as a guide for further reading, 27 February 2018.