Men of Bagshot War Memorial

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1454315
Date first listed:
09-Mar-2018
Statutory Address:
Churchyard of the Church of St Anne, 45 Church Road, Bagshot, Surrey, GU19 5EQ

Map

Ordnance survey map of Men of Bagshot War Memorial
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1454315 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Oct-2019 at 15:14:36.

Location

Statutory Address:
Churchyard of the Church of St Anne, 45 Church Road, Bagshot, Surrey, GU19 5EQ

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Surrey
District:
Surrey Heath (District Authority)
Parish:
Windlesham
National Grid Reference:
SU9068763186

Summary

A First World War memorial, 1920 with later additions for the Second World War.

Reasons for Designation

The Men of Bagshot War Memorial, Bagshot, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:

Historic interest:

* as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on this local community, and the sacrifice it has made in the conflicts of the C20.

Architectural interest:

* in its simple but handsome form.

Group value:

* with the Church of St Anne (Grade II).

History

The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever with tens of thousands of memorials erected across England. One such memorial was raised at Bagshot as a permanent testament to the sacrifice made by the members of the local community, who lost their lives in the First World War.

The memorial was erected in 1920 by Mr Bannister of Ascot and was designed by F E Howard of Oxford. F E Howard (1888–1934) was also responsible for other war memorials including those at the Church of Holy Trinity, Balsham, Cambridgeshire (listed Grade II) and Steeple Ashton, Oxfordshire (listed Grade II). The architect involved was Messrs Thorp and Claypole of Camberley.

The memorial commemorates 51 local servicemen who died during the First World War. Following the Second World War, a dedication was added to commemorate the 11 fallen of that conflict. One additional name was added to the memorial at a later date.

The memorial was originally located at the junction of London Road and Church Road. It was moved to its present location in 1948. In 2014 the memorial was conserved with the help of grant aid from War Memorials Trust.

Details

The memorial is located within the churchyard of the Church of St Anne (Grade II).

It consists of a floriated Latin cross constructed from Clipsham stone. The cross rises from a tapering square shaft on an octagonal plinth. The plinth stands on a tall four-stepped octagonal base. The names of the fallen are incised on the top three steps. The First World War dedication TO THE MEN OF BAGSHOT/ WHO GAVE THEIR LIVES/ FOR THEIR COUNTRY 1914 1919. The Second World War dedication is located on the second step and simply reads SECOND WORLD WAR/ 1939 – 1945.

Sources

Websites
Imperial War Museum inventory of war memorials, accessed 29 January 2018 from https://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/23744
Surrey in the Great War: a County Remembers, accessed 29 January 2018 from http://www.surreyinthegreatwar.org.uk/collections/getrecord/SHMEM_W_M_1970
War Memorials Online, accessed 29 January 2018 from www.warmemorialsonline.org.uk/node/100379

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].