Peter Tavy War Memorial

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1455359

Date first listed: 23-Apr-2018

Statutory Address: St Peter's Church, Peter Tavy, Tavistock

Map

Ordnance survey map of Peter Tavy War Memorial
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1455359 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Jan-2019 at 02:09:57.

Location

Statutory Address: St Peter's Church, Peter Tavy, Tavistock

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Devon

District: West Devon (District Authority)

Parish: Peter Tavy

National Park: DARTMOOR

National Grid Reference: SX5131277744

Summary

First World War memorial, erected around 1920, with later additions for the Second World War.

Reasons for Designation

Peter Tavy War Memorial is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:

Historic interest:

* as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on the local community, and the sacrifice it made in the conflicts of the C20.

Architectural interest:

* as an accomplished and well-realised war memorial, which takes the form of a granite pylon with base.

Group value:

* with the Church of St Peter, Peter Tavy (Grade I), in which churchyard it stands to the south of the church.

History

The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever with tens of thousands of memorials erected across England. This was the result of both the huge impact on communities of the loss of three quarters of a million British lives, and also the official policy of not repatriating the dead: therefore the memorials provided the main focus of the grief felt at this great loss. One such memorial was raised at Peter Tavy as a permanent testament to the sacrifice made by the members of the local community who lost their lives in the First World War.

The memorial at Peter Tavy appears to have been designed about 1920 and altered after 1945. The memorial was restored in 2011.

Details

First World War memorial, erected around 1920, with later additions for the Second World War. DESCRIPTION: of rock-hewn granite with ashlar panels to the base which record the names of the fallen with inset lead lettering. The cross and shaft are square in section and the base is hexagonal with a hexagonal plinth and enclosure which is bordered by curb stones and includes a flat stone tablet which extends from the base of the cross to the edge of the enclosure and records the names of the fallen from the Second World War. The cross is plain with a Latin head and tapered shaft. The octagonal base is sharply tapered and has a recessed ashlar panel to each side recording one of the fallen. Running around the riser of the base is an inscription: ‘IN HONOURED MEMORY OF / THOSE OF THIS PARISH / WHO GAVE THEIR LIVES / IN THE GREAT WAR / 1914 – 1919.’ The flat stone of trapezoidal shape, recording the names of the fallen from the Second World War, is inscribed ‘TO THE GLORY OF GOD’ at the top of the stone, and ‘1939 – 1945’ below.

Sources

Websites
Imperial War Museum Register of War Memorials, accessed 07/03/2018 from https://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/2941
War Memorials Online, accessed 07/03/2018 from https://www.warmemorialsonline.org.uk/memorial/119672/

End of official listing