Riccall War Memorial


Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:
St Mary's Churchyard, Silver Street, Riccall, Selby


Ordnance survey map of Riccall War Memorial
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1455463 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Sep-2019 at 21:12:01.


Statutory Address:
St Mary's Churchyard, Silver Street, Riccall, Selby

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

North Yorkshire
Selby (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:


First World War memorial, unveiled on 31 July 1921, with Second World War and C21 additions.

Reasons for Designation

Riccall War Memorial, which is situated in St Mary’s churchyard, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:

Historic interest:

* as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on the local community, and the sacrifice it made in the conflicts of the C20.

Architectural interest:

* a well-executed pillar memorial demonstrating fine craftsmanship in the carved decorative features.

Group value:

* with the Grade I-listed Church of St Mary.


The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever with tens of thousands of memorials erected across England. This was the result of both the huge impact on communities of the loss of three quarters of a million British lives, and also the official policy of not repatriating the dead which meant that the memorials provided the main focus of the grief felt at this great loss. One such memorial was raised at Riccall as a permanent testament to the sacrifice made by the members of the local community who lost their lives in the First World War.

Faculty for erecting the war memorial in St Mary’s churchyard was approved in October 1919. The memorial was sculpted by Mr G W Milburn of York. It was unveiled on 31 July 1921 by Lieutenant General Sir Ivor Maxse with the dedication undertaken by Reverend C Elam Greaves and Reverend J A Sheen. The memorial commemorates 20 local servicemen who died in the First World War.

Following the Second World War, the names of the five casualties from that conflict were added to the memorial.

In 2014 a new inscription was added to the memorial to mark the centenary of the First World War.


First World War memorial, 1921, with Second World War and C21 additions.

DESCRIPTION: Riccall War Memorial is located at the entrance to the churchyard to the north-east of the Grade I-listed Church of St Mary.

The memorial is of Portland stone and takes the form of a tall, tapering, fluted pillar with a decorative capital and moulded band below. At the base of the pillar, to all four faces, is a relief carved wreath, while directly above is a pair of carved decorative bands. There is also carved decoration within the fluting. The pillar has a moulded foot and rises from a narrow square pedestal. This surmounts a tapering, four-sided plinth with moulded foot atop a narrow, single-step chamfered base.

An inscription wraps around the pedestal in relief lettering, reading in an anticlockwise direction and starting on the north-east face, FOR GOD/ KING/ AND/ COUNTRY. The principal inscription is to the north-east face of the plinth and reads,TO THE GLORY OF GOD/ AND IN UNDYING MEMORY/ OF THE MEN FROM RICCALL/ WHO FELL IN THE GREAT WAR/ 1914-1918./ “GREATER LOVE HATH NO MAN/ THAN THIS THAT A MAN LAY/ DOWN HIS LIFE FOR HIS FRIENDS”. Directly below is a later inscription, added in the C21 for the centenary of the First World War, which reads, TO MARK THE CENTENARY/ OF THE GREAT WAR/ 1914-1918/ NEVER FORGOTTEN. The names of the 20 men who died in the conflict are recorded on the south-east and north-west faces of the plinth. The lettering is incised and painted black.

To the south-west face of the plinth is the dedication to the Second World War, also in incised lettering, painted black, 1939-1945 (5 NAMES).


War Memorials Online, accessed 01 March 2018 from https://www.warmemorialsonline.org.uk/memorial/225084
War Memorials Register, accessed 01 March 2018 from https://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/31026
Sheffield Daily Telegraph, (01 August 1921), pp5


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].