Chalfont St Peter War Memorial including the flanking memorial walls and radiating path network

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1455695

Date first listed: 10-May-2018

Statutory Address: Chalfont St Peter War Memorial, Churchyard of the Church of St Peter, High Street, Chalfont St Peter, Buckinghamshire, SL9 9RA

Map

Ordnance survey map of Chalfont St Peter War Memorial including the flanking memorial walls and radiating path network
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1455695 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Jan-2019 at 16:23:00.

Location

Statutory Address: Chalfont St Peter War Memorial, Churchyard of the Church of St Peter, High Street, Chalfont St Peter, Buckinghamshire, SL9 9RA

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Buckinghamshire

District: Chiltern (District Authority)

Parish: Chalfont St. Peter

National Grid Reference: TQ0006190854

Summary

A First World War memorial, designed by W Acworth of Gerrards Cross in 1919, built by Brown & Sons and unveiled in 1920. Flanking walls added in the aftermath of the Second World War. Repairs have occurred in the late C20 and early C21.

Reasons for Designation

Chalfont St Peter War Memorial, including the flanking memorial walls and radiating path network, situated in the churchyard of the Church of St Peter, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:

Historic interest:

* as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on the local community, and the sacrifice it made in the conflicts of the C20.

Architectural interest:

* it has good-quality sculptural decoration, particularly on the sides of the lantern.

Group value:

* with the Church of St Peter (Grade II*), and the churchyard gates and railings (Grade II).

History

The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever with tens of thousands of memorials erected across England. This was the result of both the huge impact on communities of the loss of three quarters of a million British lives, and also the official policy of not repatriating the dead, which meant that the memorials provided the main focus of the grief felt at this great loss. One such memorial was raised at Chalfont St Peter in Buckinghamshire as a permanent testament to the sacrifice made by the members of the local community who lost their lives in the First World War.

Chalfont St Peter War Memorial was designed by Mr W Acworth of Gerrards Cross and approved by the Diocese of Oxford in 1919. It was built by Messrs Brown & Sons in the churchyard of the Church of St Peter (Grade II*-listed) and cost around £300 with funds raised by public subscription. The memorial was unveiled by Brigadier General Stephen Lushington on 6 March 1920.

Following the Second World War, two free-standing low walls were added at angles to the memorial and included the names of the Fallen of that conflict. In 1981 the First World War inscriptions were re-cut by Oxford Stone and Marblecraft with funds raised by the Parish Council and the Royal British Legion. General repairs were undertaken in 1996, and in 2017 the memorial was conserved with grant aid from the War Memorials Trust.

Details

A First World War memorial, designed by W Acworth of Gerrards Cross in 1919, built by Brown & Sons and unveiled in 1920. Flanking walls added in the aftermath of the Second World War. Repairs have occurred in the late C20 and early C21.

MATERIALS: the memorial is constructed of ashlar stone. Polished granite plaques have been added at an unknown date to the top tier of the base.

DESCRIPTION: the memorial has a three-tiered octagonal base topped by a square plinth with decorative stops at the corners. Above is a tall chamfered shaft with a rounded carved capital. The memorial is topped by a stone lantern with a niche on each of its four sides and covered by a decorative canopy with pinnacles and a central finial The niches contain figures that depict (moving clockwise from the north) St Peter, Christ at the crucifixion attended by Mary, Christ with his arms outstretched, and the Madonna and Child. The 77 names of the Fallen are carved in relief on each side of the plinth. The top tier of the stone base is faced in polished granite plaques which contain the dedication that reads anti-clockwise around the memorial TO THE GLORY OF GOD/ AND IN MEMORY OF THOSE/ WHO DIED IN THE SERVICE/ OF THEIR COUNTRY/ 1914-1918/ ALSO TO THOSE WHO DIED/ 1939-1945/ IN THE SECOND WORLD WAR.

SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: there are two low stone walls on the south side of the memorial set at angles. The inner faces contain the carved names of 41 casualties of the Second World War. A small network of paved paths radiate from the south side of memorial base and flank the stone walls.

Sources

Websites
Chalfont St Peter War Memorial, accessed 16 March 2018 from https://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/2157
Chalfont St Peter War Memorials Trust, accessed 16 March 2018 from http://www.warmemorials.org/search-grants/?gID=1418
Other
Chalfont St. Peter Church Memorial, The Advertiser and Gazette, 12 March 1920

End of official listing