Roydon War Memorial

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1455938
Date first listed:
29-May-2018
Statutory Address:
Churchyard of the Church of St Remigius, High Road (A1066), Roydon, Norfolk, IP22 5RE

Map

Ordnance survey map of Roydon War Memorial
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1455938 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Oct-2019 at 00:51:52.

Location

Statutory Address:
Churchyard of the Church of St Remigius, High Road (A1066), Roydon, Norfolk, IP22 5RE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Norfolk
District:
South Norfolk (District Authority)
Parish:
Roydon
National Grid Reference:
TM0965180409

Summary

First World War memorial, 1920, with Second World War additions.

Reasons for Designation

Roydon War Memorial, which is situated in St Remigius Churchyard, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:

Historic interest:

* as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on this local community, and the sacrifices it has made in the conflicts of the C20.

Architectural interest:

* as a dignified and well-executed Portland stone cross.

Group value:

* with the Grade I-listed Church of St Remigius.

History

The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever with tens of thousands of memorials erected across England. This was the result of both the huge impact on communities of the loss of three quarters of a million British lives, and also the official policy of not repatriating the dead which meant that the memorials provided the main focus of the grief felt at this great loss. One such memorial was raised at Roydon as a permanent testament to the sacrifice made by the members of the local community who lost their lives in the First World War.

At the time of the First World War, Roydon had a population of c.600-700 and sent a high proportion of men to the war. The memorial commemorates 19 local servicemen who fell in the First World War and three men killed later during the Second World War.

A meeting took place at the Council Schoolroom on Tuesday 6 May 1919 to decide on a war memorial for the parish chaired by Mr E C Hayward. It was decided to postpone making any plans until they had heard what scheme might be put in place at nearby Diss.

In the meantime, a War Memorial Committee was formed with Mr W Dalton as chairman, Miss Frere as treasurer and Miss Nicholls as secretary. By October 1919, the committee has raised £30, which would cover the cost of having a churchyard cross in the recent churchyard extension. The approved design for the memorial was by Messrs Cooley and Son, stonemasons, of Diss. The total cost was £35. The memorial was unveiled on Sunday 3 October 1920 and dedicated by the Rector, the Reverend H C Frere.

Two Second World War casualty names were unveiled, and the memorial rededicated, on Sunday 5 September 1948. It was unveiled on this occasion by Mr R S Copeman (Chairman of the Parish Council) and rededicated by the Rector, the Reverend W R J Higgitt.

Details

First World War memorial, 1920, with Second World War additions.

MATERIALS: Portland stone

DESCRIPTION: Roydon War Memorial is located in the churchyard of the Grade I-listed St Remigius Church, High Road, Roydon, Norfolk. It is prominently situated by the churchyard entrance within a low-hedged enclosure and conspicuous from High Road. It comprises a 3.2m tall Portland stone wheel-head cross on a four-sided shaft with slightly chamfered edges and moulded foot, atop a tapering four-sided plinth and two-stepped base. The plinth bears the inscriptions in incised and painted lettering.

The inscription reads: TO THE GLORY OF GOD/ IN MEMORY OF THE MEN OF THIS/ PARISH WHO LAID DOWN THEIR/ LIVES IN THE GREAT WAR/ 1914 – 1918/ (NAMES)/ GREATER LOVE HATH NO MAN THAN THIS, THAT/ A MAN LAY DOWN HIS LIFE FOR HIS FRIENDS/ AND IN WORLD WAR II/ 1939 – 1945/ (NAMES).

Sources

Websites
War Memorial Register, accessed 26 March 2018 from http://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/20154
Other
‘Roydon: War Memorial’; Diss Express, 9 May 1919 and 8 October 1920
'Roydon: Memorial to Fallen Heroes’, Diss Express, 10 September 1948, p4

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].