Granary at Kite Hill Farm

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1456051

Date first listed: 16-Aug-2018

Statutory Address: Kite Hill Farm, Kite Hill, Wootton Bridge, Ryde, Isle of Wight, PO33 4LE

Map

Ordnance survey map of Granary at Kite Hill Farm
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1456051 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Jan-2019 at 02:21:05.

Location

Statutory Address: Kite Hill Farm, Kite Hill, Wootton Bridge, Ryde, Isle of Wight, PO33 4LE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Isle of Wight (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Fishbourne

National Grid Reference: SZ5500491914

Summary

A granary, probably late C18 with some C20 refurbishing.

Reasons for Designation

The late-C18 granary at Kite Hill Farm buildings is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:

Architectural interest: * a timber-framed granary on staddle stones, with a staggered purlin roof structure and evidence of the interior grain bins, that retains a significant proportion of original fabric.

Historic interest: * one of the components of an unusual survival of a farmstead comprising four late-C18 farm buildings and a farmhouse on the Isle of Wight.

Group value: * the granary has considerable group value with the cartshed, stable and barn, listed separately, and the former farmhouse, all listed at Grade II.



History

Kite Hill Farm was originally owned by the Fleming estate, a large landed estate in Hampshire and the Isle of Wight between 1599 and the 1950s.

A cluster of buildings in this position is shown on the 1810 First Edition one-inch Ordnance Survey map. The granary at 'Kitehill' Farm is one of a group of farm buildings shown on the 1864 First Edition 25'' Ordnance Survey map. Its rectangular footprint has not changed since.

The farm passed into private ownership in 1960 and the farmhouse, listed in 1950, was separately sold off in the later C20. The granary has a replacement roof covering, and two C20 doors have been inserted on the north-west elevation.

Details

A granary, probably late C18 with some C20 refurbishing.

MATERIALS: timber-framed, clad in weatherboarding on stone staddles. The roof covering has been replaced in corrugated iron.

PLAN: a square building of two bays with loft above.

EXTERIOR: weather-boarded sides with two C20 doors inserted on the north-west side. The structure is supported on mushroom-shaped staddle stones.

INTERIOR: the ground floor has a chamfered central beam and the end walls of grain bins survive on the south and east sides. Steep fixed wooden steps lead to the loft which has a staggered purlin roof with diagonal braces covered in lath and plaster.

Sources

Other
SMR number 10434-MW7933

End of official listing