East Bridgford War Memorial Cross

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1456217
Date first listed:
11-Jun-2018
Statutory Address:
c26m east of St Peter's Church, The churchyard, East Bridgford, Rushcliffe, Nottinghamshire, NG13 8PE

Map

Ordnance survey map of East Bridgford War Memorial Cross
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1456217 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Sep-2019 at 21:20:06.

Location

Statutory Address:
c26m east of St Peter's Church, The churchyard, East Bridgford, Rushcliffe, Nottinghamshire, NG13 8PE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Nottinghamshire
District:
Rushcliffe (District Authority)
Parish:
East Bridgford
National Grid Reference:
SK6912843137

Summary

First World War memorial cross, unveiled on 27 June 1920, designed by CE Ponting and sculpted by Messrs Ward and Adkins, Nottingham. Second World War additions.

Reasons for Designation

East Bridgford War Memorial Cross, which stands in the churchyard, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:

Historic interest:

* as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on the local community, and the sacrifice it made in the conflicts of the C20.

Architectural interest:

* an elegant war memorial cross in Derby gritstone by the architect CE Ponting FSA.

Group value:

* with the Church of St Peter (Grade I) and the Grade II-listed Group of 3 Headstones 7 metres south of Chancel at Church of St Peter.

History

The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever with tens of thousands of memorials erected across England. This was the result of both the huge impact on communities of the loss of three quarters of a million British lives, and also the official policy of not repatriating the dead which meant that the memorials provided the main focus of the grief felt at this great loss.

One such memorial was raised at East Bridgford as a permanent testament to the sacrifice made by 22 members of the local community who died in the First World War. The memorial was designed by the architect CE Ponting and the building work was carried out by Messrs Ward and Adkins, Nottingham. It was unveiled and dedicated on 27 June 1920 by Archdeacon Conybeare. After the Second World War a dedication and the names of five casualties of that conflict were added to the memorial.

CE Ponting FSA (1850-1932) was based in Marlborough, Wiltshire, and was responsible for the design of numerous buildings including parts of Marlborough College, and buildings ranging from the Cottage Hospital and Institute at Almondsbury (Grade II) to elements of the Grade I-listed Eleanor Cross at Cheshunt. As Surveyor for the Archdeaconries of Wiltshire and Dorset he was involved in many re-orderings and restorations at churches in the Dioceses of Salisbury and of Bristol. Prior to the First World War he supervised the restoration at St Peter’s, East Bridgford, which may have resulted in the commission to design the war memorial cross there. His numerous war memorials include those at Amesbury, Wilton, and Marnhull (all Grade II-listed).

Details

East Bridgford War Memorial is located in the eastern corner of the churchyard in close proximity to the Grade I-listed Church of St Peter and a group of Grade II-listed headstones.

The war memorial is constructed of Derby gritstone and takes the form of a pointed Latin cross with cusped projections at the angles between the cross-arms. The cross crowns an octagonal shaft with decorative moulded collar and a square foot with inverted chamfer stops. The shaft rises from a square plinth with octagonal cap and curved moulded shoulders. This surmounts a three-stepped base, square on plan..

The east face of the plinth has a cross patée symbol carved in relief above an inset bronze plaque carrying the names of the 22 servicemen who died in the First World War. The names are in raised lettering and are listed under the year each man died. Directly below, to the east face of the base, is the principal inscription in incised lettering, TO THE MEMORY OF THE FALLEN IN THE GREAT WAR/ 1914-1918. The step below has the following words incised, THEIR NAME LIVETH FOR EVERMORE.

The west face of the plinth has a further bronze plaque, bearing the Second World War dedication and names. This reads, THIS TABLET WAS ADDED TO THE/ MEMORY OF THE FALLEN IN THE/ SECOND GREAT WAR 1939-45 (5 NAMES). The names are again listed by the year each man died.

Sources

Websites
‘East Bridgford – St Peter’s Church’, Roll of Honour, Nottinghamshire County Council , accessed 22 March 2018 from http://www.nottinghamshire.gov.uk/rollofhonour/WarMemorials/Details/467
‘East Bridgford St Peter War Memorial’, Southwell and Nottingham Church History, accessed 22 March 2018 from http://southwellchurches.nottingham.ac.uk/east-bridgford/hwarmem.php
War Memorials Register, accessed 22 March 2018 from http://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/18335
Other
‘Village Memorials. Unveiling Ceremonies at East Bridgford and Cotgrave’, Nottingham Journal, 28 June 1920, p5

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].