Trunch War Memorial

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1456612

Date first listed: 11-Jul-2018

Statutory Address: Churchyard of the Church of St Boltoph, Front Street, Trunch, Norfolk, NR28 0PZ

Map

Ordnance survey map of Trunch War Memorial
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1456612 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Jan-2019 at 01:32:35.

Location

Statutory Address: Churchyard of the Church of St Boltoph, Front Street, Trunch, Norfolk, NR28 0PZ

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Norfolk

District: North Norfolk (District Authority)

Parish: Trunch

National Grid Reference: TG2871534842

Summary

First World War memorial, erected around 1920, with Second World War additions.

Reasons for Designation

Trunch War Memorial, which is situated in St Botolph’s Churchyard, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:

Historic interest:

* as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on this local community, and the sacrifices it has made in the conflicts of the C20.

Architectural interest:

* as a simple but dignified granite cross.

Group value:

* with the Grade I-listed Church of St Botolph and the Grade II-listed Tudor Cottage.

History

The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever with tens of thousands of memorials erected across England. This was the result of both the huge impact on communities of the loss of three quarters of a million British lives, and also the official policy of not repatriating the dead which meant that the memorials provided the main focus of the grief felt at this great loss. One such memorial was raised at Trunch as a permanent testament to the sacrifice made by the members of the local community who lost their lives in the First World War.

Trunch, like many Norfolk war memorials, was situated within the churchyard. The memorial was presumably erected, around 1920. The memorial commemorates 14 local servicemen who fell in the First World War and one man who fell in the Second World War.

Details

First World War memorial, erected around 1920.

MATERIALS: grey granite.

DESCRIPTION: Trunch War Memorial is located in the churchyard of St Botolph’s Church, Front Street, Trunch, Norfolk. It is prominently situated by the church porch. It comprises a rough-hewn wheel-head cross on a wide plinth set into a concrete base. The plinth bears the inscriptions in incised and blacked lettering.

The inscription reads: IN MEMORY OF/ THE TRUNCH MEN WHO FELL IN THE/ GREAT WAR 1914 – 1918/ (NAMES)/ FAITHFUL UNTO DEATH/ (NAME) 1939 – 1945.

Sources

Websites
War Memorials Online, accessed 2 April 2018 from https://www.warmemorialsonline.org.uk/memorial/164063/

End of official listing