War Memorial Lych Gate to the Church of St Peter, Woodmansterne

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1456995
Date first listed:
18-Jun-2018
Statutory Address:
St Peters Church, Rectory Lane, Banstead, Surrey, SM7 3NR

Map

Ordnance survey map of War Memorial Lych Gate to the Church of St Peter, Woodmansterne
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1456995 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Sep-2019 at 14:48:13.

Location

Statutory Address:
St Peters Church, Rectory Lane, Banstead, Surrey, SM7 3NR

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Surrey
District:
Reigate and Banstead (District Authority)
Parish:
Non Civil Parish
National Grid Reference:
TQ2764459986

Summary

A war memorial lych gate in vernacular style. Dedicated in January 1920.

Reasons for Designation

The War Memorial Lych Gate outside the Church of St Peter, Woodmansterne is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:

Historic interest: * as an eloquent witness to the tragic impacts of world events on this community and the sacrifices made in the conflicts of the C20.

Architectural interest: * as an unaltered war memorial in the less usual form of a lych gate, in vernacular style constructed of good quality and varied materials.

History

The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever with tens of thousands of memorials erected across England, both as a result of the huge impact the loss of three quarters of a million British lives had on communities and the official policy of not repatriating the dead, which meant that the memorials provided the main focus of the grief felt at this great loss.

One such war memorial was raised at Woodmansterne as a permanent testament to the sacrifice made by members of the local community who lost their lives in the First World War. The church lych gate was erected in 1919 as the parish war memorial to those who gave their lives in the First World War. It was dedicated in January 1920 by Canon Turner, Rector of Sutton. Subsequently the list of names was enlarged by those who perished during the Second World War.

Details

A war memorial lych gate in vernacular style. Erected in 1919 and dedicated in January 1920.

MATERIALS: timber-framed with a shingled roof on a flint base with stone coping and quoins. The inscriptions are in bronze.

PLAN: a gabled arch with pentices to front and rear.

EXTERIOR: the north-west side facing the street has a louvred gable with a central post and side tension braces, the left one inscribed with the date 1914, the right one 1918. The plain wooden barge boards have a carved finial and pendant. The corner posts have diagonal tension braces on wooden corbels.

The south-east side facing the church is similar but undated.

The sides have trefoil-arched openings above plank infill panels.

INTERIOR: panels attached to the side walls have the following inscriptions.

The east side bronze panel:

WOODMANSTERNE MEMORIAL THE GREAT WAR 1914-1918 TO THE GLORY OF GOD AND IN MEMORY OF THE FOLLOWING MEN OF THIS PARISH WHO GAVE THEIR LIVES FOR KING AND COUNTRY The names follow in alphabetical order. Followed by: REQUIESCANT IN PACE

The west side bronze panel:

WOODMANSTERNE MEMORIAL THE SECOND WORLD WAR 1939-1945 TO THE GLORY OF GOD AND IN MEMORY OF THE FOLLOWING MEN OF THIS PARISH WHO GAVE THEIR LIVES FOR KING AND COUNTRY The names follow in alphabetical order with additional names on two side panels.

Sources

Other
War Memorials Register: no. 23720

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].