Mereworth War Memorial

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1457039

Date first listed: 08-Aug-2018

Statutory Address: Mereworth War Memorial, Roadside near St Lawrence's Church, The Street, Mereworth, Kent, ME18 5NA

Map

Ordnance survey map of Mereworth War Memorial
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1457039 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Jan-2019 at 00:51:15.

Location

Statutory Address: Mereworth War Memorial, Roadside near St Lawrence's Church, The Street, Mereworth, Kent, ME18 5NA

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Kent

District: Tonbridge and Malling (District Authority)

Parish: Mereworth

National Grid Reference: TQ6596453752

Summary

A First World War memorial, of around 1920, with additional later plaque.

Reasons for Designation

Mereworth War Memorial, of around 1920, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:   Historic interest:   * an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on this part of the community, and the sacrifice it made in the First and Second World Wars.   Architectural interest:   * although simple in form, it is an unusual example of a war memorial that is inscribed with the names of all the combatants from the local area who served in the First World War, rather than only those that did not return.   Group value:   * with the adjacent Grade I-listed Church of St Lawrence (National Heritage List for England reference 1186214).

History

Mereworth War Memorial was probably erected around 1920, when the aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever, with tens of thousands of memorials erected across England. It was raised as a permanent testament to the sacrifice made by the 141 members of the local community, who served in the First World War. The 21 that did not return are identified by a cross against their name. A slate plaque recording the nine Mereworth men who fell in the Second World War, was added in the early C21.

In 2008 the memorial was conserved with the help of grant aid from the War Memorials Trust.

Details

A First World War memorial, of around 1920, with additional later plaque.   MATERIALS: stone, with slate plaque.   DESCRIPTION: the memorial is in the form of a free-standing stone tablet, with a shouldered and rock-hewn surround. It has a polished face on to which are inscribed the names of the 141 Mereworth combatants who served in the First World War. The names of the 21 who fell in the conflict are marked with a cross. At the top of the tablet there is an inscribed dedication IN PERPETUAL HONOUR OF MEREWORTH MEN WHO SERVED/ IN THE GREAT WAR 1914 – 1918.   At the foot of the memorial there is a later wedge-shaped stone, which is faced with a slate plaque. It is inscribed with AND LEST WE FORGET THE FALLEN/ 1939 – 1945 and the names of the nine Mereworth combatants who died in the Second World War.

Sources

Websites
Imperial War Museum Memorials, accessed 8 May 2018 from https://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/16284
War Memorials Online, accessed 8 May 2018 from www.warmemorialsonline.org.uk/node/107633

End of official listing