Flookburgh War Memorial

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1457191

Date first listed: 07-Aug-2018

Statutory Address: Churchyard of the Church of St John the Baptist, Station Road, Flookburgh, Cumbria, LA11 7JY

Map

Ordnance survey map of Flookburgh War Memorial
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1457191 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Jan-2019 at 01:58:37.

Location

Statutory Address: Churchyard of the Church of St John the Baptist, Station Road, Flookburgh, Cumbria, LA11 7JY

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Cumbria

District: South Lakeland (District Authority)

Parish: Lower Holker

National Grid Reference: SD3657176023

Summary

First World War memorial, 1922.

Reasons for Designation

Flookburgh War Memorial, which is situated in St John the Baptist Churchyard, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:

Historic interest:

* as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on this local community, and the sacrifices it has made in the conflicts of the C20.

Architectural interest:

* as an elegant and well-executed stone floriated cross with decorated shaft.

Group value:

* with the Grade II*-listed Church of St John the Baptist.

History

The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever with tens of thousands of memorials erected across England. This was the result of both the huge impact on communities of the loss of three quarters of a million British lives, and also the official policy of not repatriating the dead which meant that the memorials provided the main focus of the grief felt at this great loss. One such memorial was raised at Flookburgh as a permanent testament to the sacrifice made by the members of the local community who lost their lives in the First World War.

Flookburgh War Memorial was situated within the churchyard. The memorial commemorates 29 servicemen from Cark and Flookburgh who fell in the First World War.

The suggestion of a war memorial for Flookburgh was raised by February 1919. In July 1920, a faculty was granted for a cross to be erected in the churchyard and the memorial was unveiled on 10 January 1922.

Details

First World War memorial, 1922.

DESCRIPTION: Flookburgh War Memorial is located in the churchyard of St John the Baptist Church, Station Road, Flookburgh, Cumbria. It is prominently situated between the apse end of the church, and the main road passing by, visible from the road and beside the churchyard paths. It comprises a c 4.5m floriated cross, with an ornate head, on a tapering slender shaft with incised circular decorations in a strip spiralling down the shaft length and with a moulded cap and foot, on a circular plinth bearing inscriptions, atop a two-tiered base. The plinth bears the dedication in relief-carved lettering, and name inscriptions in incised lettering.

The inscription reads: HONOUR TO THE MEN OF THIS/ PARISH WHO LAID DOWN THEIR/ LIVES THRO’ THE GREAT WAR/ 1914 – 1918/ THE PEACE OF GOD TO ALL WHO/ BY THEIR SUFFERINGS STROVE/ TO GIVE THEIR COUNTRY PEACE// (NAMES).

Sources

Websites
War Memorial Register, accessed 2 April 2018 from http://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/4123
War Memorials Online, accessed 2 April 2018 from https://www.warmemorialsonline.org.uk/memorial/178834/

End of official listing