Brigham War Memorial

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1457578
Date first listed:
22-Aug-2018
Statutory Address:
Churchyard of the Church of St Bridget, off the A66, Brigham, Cumbria, CA13 0XN

Map

Ordnance survey map of Brigham War Memorial
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1457578 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Sep-2019 at 23:33:08.

Location

Statutory Address:
Churchyard of the Church of St Bridget, off the A66, Brigham, Cumbria, CA13 0XN

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Cumbria
District:
Allerdale (District Authority)
Parish:
Brigham
National Grid Reference:
NY0858330906

Summary

First World War memorial, 1921, with Second World War additions.

Reasons for Designation

Brigham War Memorial, which is situated in St Bridget’s Churchyard, Brigham, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:

Historic interest:

* as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on this local community, and the sacrifices it has made in the conflicts of the C20.

Architectural interest:

* as a simple but well-executed granite cross.

Group value:

* with the Grade I-listed Church of St Bridget and the Grade II-listed Sundial South of the Church.

History

The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever with tens of thousands of memorials erected across England. This was the result of both the huge impact on communities of the loss of three quarters of a million British lives, and also the official policy of not repatriating the dead which meant that the memorials provided the main focus of the grief felt at this great loss. One such memorial was raised at Brigham as a permanent testament to the sacrifice made by the members of the local community who lost their lives in the First World War.

Brigham War Memorial was situated within the churchyard. The memorial commemorates 22 local servicemen who fell in the First World War and 16 men who fell in the Second World War.

A faculty for the memorial’s erection was granted 27 July 1920. It was built by Walker Brothers of Cockermouth. The memorial was unveiled in March 1921 and dedicated by the Bishop of Carlisle. The Memorial Hall that formed part of the wider commemorative scheme was unveiled in November 1924.

The memorial was repaired in around 2015.

Details

First World War memorial, 1921.

MATERIALS: Aberdeen granite.

DESCRIPTION: Brigham War Memorial is located in the churchyard of the Church of St Bridget, south of the A66, north of Low Road, Brigham, Cumbria. It is prominently situated off the churchyard path near to the church entrance. It comprises a rustic, red Aberdeen granite cross on a short shaft, surmounting a large rough-hewn tapering plinth with a polished inscription face to the front, and a similar base block below. It is set within a five-sided red Aberdeen granite kerb area accessed by three steps. The plinth bears the inscriptions in incised and white-infilled lettering.

The inscription reads IN HONOUR OF THE MEN OF BRIGHAM PARISH/ WHO DIED FOR THEIR COUNTRY IN THE GREAT WAR/ 1914 – 1918/ (NAMES)/ “GREATER LOVE HATH NO MAN THAN THIS, THAT A MAN LAY DOWN HIS/ LIFE FOR HIS FRIENDS”// 1939 – 1945/ (NAMES).

Sources

Websites
War Memorial Register, accessed 2 April 2018 from http://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/4018
War Memorials Online, accessed 2 April 2018 from https://www.warmemorialsonline.org.uk/memorial/172218/

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].