Broughton Moor War Memorial

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1457603
Date first listed:
03-Sep-2018
Statutory Address:
Churchyard of the Church of St Columba, Church Road, Broughton Moor, Cumbria, CA15 7SS

Map

Ordnance survey map of Broughton Moor War Memorial
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1457603 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Sep-2019 at 05:47:41.

Location

Statutory Address:
Churchyard of the Church of St Columba, Church Road, Broughton Moor, Cumbria, CA15 7SS

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Cumbria
District:
Allerdale (District Authority)
Parish:
Broughton Moor
National Grid Reference:
NY0535733385

Summary

First World War memorial, 1921, with Second World War additions.

Reasons for Designation

Broughton Moor War Memorial, which is situated in St Columba’s Churchyard, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:

Historic interest:

* as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on this local community, and the sacrifices it has made in the conflicts of the C20.

Architectural interest:

* as a simple but well-executed granite cross.

Group value:

* with the Grade II-listed Church of St Columba.

History

The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever with tens of thousands of memorials erected across England. This was the result of both the huge impact on communities of the loss of three quarters of a million British lives, and also the official policy of not repatriating the dead which meant that the memorials provided the main focus of the grief felt at this great loss. One such memorial was raised at Broughton Moor as a permanent testament to the sacrifice made by the members of the local community who lost their lives in the First World War.

Broughton Moor War Memorial was situated within the churchyard. The memorial commemorates 16 local servicemen who fell in the First World War and 10 men who fell in the Second World War. A faculty was granted for the memorial’s erection in May 1920 and it was built by Thomas Preston. The memorial was unveiled 3 July 1921 by Major Dykes of Dovenby Hall.

The Second World War names were added later (including two female civilians killed in an explosion at a nearby RNAD works) and the memorial rededicated by the Secretary of the War Memorial Fund, Thomas A Hayton, on 6 July 1947.

Details

First World War memorial, 1921.

MATERIALS: grey granite.

DESCRIPTION: Broughton Moor War Memorial is located in the churchyard of St Columba’s Church, Church Road, Broughton Moor, Cumbria. It is prominently situated by the path leading to the church entrance, and facing the main road passing by. It comprises a Latin grey granite cross with a wreath carved in relief at the centre of the cross head, on a tapering four-sided plinth with a single-stepped square base below. The plinth bears the inscriptions in leaded lettering.

The inscription reads: THIS STONE WAS PLACED HERE BY THE/ INHABITANTS OF BROUGHTON MOOR TO THE/ GLORY OF GOD IN PROUD AND LOVING MEMORY/ OF THE UNDERMENTIONED 16 MEN OF THE/ VILLAGE WHO GAVE THEIR LIVES IN THE/ SERVICE OF THEIR COUNTRY DURING THE WAR/ 1914 – 1918/ (NAMES)/ IN LOVING MEMORY OF/ THOSE WHO GAVE THEIR/ LIVES/ 1939 – 1945/ (NAMES).

Sources

Websites
War Memorial Register, accessed 2 April 2018 from http://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/4020
War Memorials Online, accessed 2 April 2018 from https://www.warmemorialsonline.org.uk/memorial/171035/

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].