Memorial Wall in the grounds of the Old Meeting House Unitarian Chapel

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1457656
Date first listed:
18-Jan-2019
Location Description:
This is a new address from February 2017. The Old Meeting House Unitarian Chapel was originally listed under Mill Walk, Unitarian Chapel in Dec 1955.
Statutory Address:
The Old Meeting House Unitarian Chapel, 1, Old Meeting House Yard, Mansfield, Nottinghamshire, NG18 1QR

Map

Ordnance survey map of Memorial Wall in the grounds of the Old Meeting House Unitarian Chapel
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1457656 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Aug-2019 at 22:34:48.

Location

Statutory Address:
The Old Meeting House Unitarian Chapel, 1, Old Meeting House Yard, Mansfield, Nottinghamshire, NG18 1QR

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Location Description:
This is a new address from February 2017. The Old Meeting House Unitarian Chapel was originally listed under Mill Walk, Unitarian Chapel in Dec 1955.
County:
Nottinghamshire
District:
Mansfield (District Authority)
Parish:
Non Civil Parish
National Grid Reference:
SK5359461140

Summary

A war memorial, in the form of a memorial wall built against a section of earlier boundary walling in the grounds of the Grade II* Old Meeting House Unitarian Chapel in Mansfield.

Reasons for Designation

The War Memorial incorporated in one bay of a two-bay section of enclosure walling of the Old Meeting House Unitarian Chapel in Mansfield, built in the 1920's, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:

Historic interest:

* as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on the local community, and the sacrifice it made in the conflicts of the C20;

Architectural interest:

* a distinctive and carefully detailed design by Alan Sorby Buxton (1867-1932), a renowned local artist, local historian and antiquarian, which forms an appropriately dignified and sombre memorial to those who lost their lives;

Group value * the memorial is located a short distance from the Old Meeting House Unitarian Chapel in Mansfield, which is listed at Grade II*.

History

The Memorial Wall at the Old Meeting House Unitarian Chapel in Mansfield was built in the 1920's to the designs of Alan Sorby Buxton (1867-1932), a renowned local artist, local historian and antiquarian. It stands adjacent to Mansfield's Unitarian Chapel in Old Meeting House Yard (listed at Grade II*, List entry 1207181) and commemorates those members of the chapel community who lost their lives in the First World War. A plaque recording the names of the Fallen of the Second World War was subsequently added.

Details

A memorial wall, set within earlier enclosure walling, installed in the 1920's to the designs of renowned local artist and antiquarian Alan Sorby Buxton (1867-1932). The memorial incorporates commemorative bronze plaques which record the names of members of Mansfield's Unitarian Chapel community who lost their lives in the two World Wars.

MATERIALS The monument is built of ashlar sandstone, with bronze plaques. The ashlar work is set within one bay of a two bay section of enclosure wall, constructed of coursed squared sandstone, and with a panel of brickwork.

PLAN The memorial is linear in form and is enclosed on three sides, and attached to a surviving section of what appears to have been an earlier boundary wall with shallow returns, or piers, at each end and a central pier.

DESCRIPTION Two bronze plaques bearing the names of the Fallen, set below copper wreaths, each with the Omega letter at their centre. Each plaque is recessed between short pilasters with splayed feet which terminate at a shallow bracketed shelf. The plaques and paired pilasters are set against a lining wall of ashlar sandstone blocks which is capped by a plainly-moulded cornice. The pilasters rise above the level of the cornice and are capped by a similarly moulded, u-shaped cornice supported on the pilaster heads and the ashlar blocks above the plaques. Each plaque bears an inscription which reads, IN REMEMBRANCE/ 1914-1918/ NAMES/ THEIR NAMES LIVETH FOR EVERMORE. A small plaque recording the names of those who fell in the Second World War has been added below the right-hand plaque.

Sources

None.

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].