Wormegay War Memorial

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1457765
Date first listed:
28-Aug-2018
Statutory Address:
Wormegay War Memorial, Village Green, Castle Road, Wormegay, Norfolk, PE33 0SG

Map

Ordnance survey map of Wormegay War Memorial
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1457765 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Sep-2019 at 22:05:57.

Location

Statutory Address:
Wormegay War Memorial, Village Green, Castle Road, Wormegay, Norfolk, PE33 0SG

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Norfolk
District:
King's Lynn and West Norfolk (District Authority)
Parish:
Wormegay
National Grid Reference:
TF6639811817

Summary

First and Second World War memorial. Erected around 1920 with the name of the Fallen of the Second World War added after 1945.

Reasons for Designation

Wormegay War Memorial, which stands on the village green, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:

Architectural interest:

* as a simple, but well executed Latin cross in Portland stone.

Historic interest:

* as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on the local community, and the sacrifice it made in the conflicts of the C20.

Group value:

* with the scheduled and Grade II-listed village cross.

History

The aftermath of the First World War saw an unprecedented wave of public commemoration with tens of thousands of memorials erected across the country, both as a result of the huge impact the loss of three quarters of a million British lives had on communities and the official policy of not repatriating the dead, which meant that the memorials provided the main focus of the grief felt at this great loss.

One such memorial was raised at Wormegay, as permanent testament to the sacrifice made by the members of the local community who lost their lives in the First World War. Wormegay War Memorial was presumably erected around 1920. It was sited at the centre of the village, on Castle Road village green, by the medieval cross remains. The memorial commemorates eight local servicemen who fell in the First World War and one man who fell in the Second World War.

Details

First World War memorial, erected around 1920, with Second World War additions. Portland stone Latin cross on a square plinth with three-stepped base.

MATERIALS: Portland stone

DESCRIPTION: Wormegay War Memorial is located on the village green adjacent to the medieval village cross remains, Castle Road, Wormegay, Norfolk. It is prominently situated in the centre of the village. It comprises a Portland stone Latin cross on an octagonal shaft with “crown” moulded collar, atop a small square plinth with circular-moulded cap, on a three-stepped base. The plinth bears the First World War inscriptions in incised and filled lettering. A separate slab bears the Second World War dedication and is placed on the steps of the base. The whole stands within a square enclosure bounded by metal corner posts connected by three rows of chains.

The inscription reads THIS MONUMENT IS ERECTED/ IN GRATEFUL MEMORY OF/ THE MEN OF THIS PARISH/ WHO FELL IN THE GREAT WAR/ 1914-1918// (NAMES)// (NAMES)// THEIR NAME/ LIVETH/ FOR EVERMORE.// ALSO/ 1939 – 1945/ (NAME).

Sources

Websites
Information on war memorials from the Imperial War Museum database, accessed 17 July 2018 from http://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/53431
Information on war memorials from the War Memorials Online database, accessed 17 July 2018 from https://www.warmemorialsonline.org.uk/memorial/233204

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].