Tilney St Lawrence War Memorial

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1457896

Date first listed: 08-Aug-2018

Statutory Address: The churchyard, St Lawrence's Church, Church Road, Tilney St Lawrence, Norfolk, PE34 4QQ

Map

Ordnance survey map of Tilney St Lawrence War Memorial
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1457896 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Jan-2019 at 01:35:32.

Location

Statutory Address: The churchyard, St Lawrence's Church, Church Road, Tilney St Lawrence, Norfolk, PE34 4QQ

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Norfolk

District: King's Lynn and West Norfolk (District Authority)

Parish: Tilney St. Lawrence

National Grid Reference: TF5498414836

Summary

First World War memorial, with Second World War additions.

Reasons for Designation

Tilney St Lawrence War Memorial, which stands in the churchyard, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:

Historic interest:

* as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on the local community, and the sacrifice it made in the conflicts of the C20.

Architectural interest:

* a simple yet poignant granite war memorial cross, in the Celtic style.

Group value:

* with the Church of St Lawrence (Grade II*-listed).

History

The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever with tens of thousands of memorials erected across England. This was the result of both the huge impact on communities of the loss of three quarters of a million British lives, and also the official policy of not repatriating the dead which meant that the memorials provided the main focus of the grief felt at this great loss.

One such memorial was raised at Tilney St Lawrence as a permanent testament to the sacrifice made by 21 members of the local community who lost their lives in the First World War. Following the Second World War, the names of nine servicemen who died in that conflict were added to the memorial.

Details

The grey granite war memorial is located in the churchyard of the Church of St Lawrence (Grade II*-listed). It comprises a tall wheel-head cross standing on a tall pedestal, with a three-stepped base of another material beneath. The front face of the memorial is polished; the sides are left rough-hewn. The cross is enclosed by eight low pyramidal granite posts that stand on a kerb. The posts are connected by two rows of barley twist iron rails. The pedestal and its foot bear the inscriptions in incised lettering.

The principal dedicatory inscription to the front face of the pedestal reads TO THE GLORIOUS MEMORY/ OF THE MEN OF THIS PARISH/ WHO FELL IN THE GREAT WAR/ 1914 – 1919/ (21 NAMES)/ 1939 – 1945. The nine Second World War names are listed on the front face of the pedestal foot.

Sources

Websites
Roll of Honour - Norfolk, Tilney St Lawrence, accessed 11 June 2018 from http://www.roll-of-honour.com/Norfolk/TilneyStLawrenceMemorial.html
War Memorials Online, accessed 11 June 2018 from https://www.warmemorialsonline.org.uk/memorial/204447/

End of official listing