Silloth War Memorial

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1457909
Date first listed:
07-Aug-2018
Statutory Address:
Churchyard of Christ Church, Criffel Street, Silloth, Cumbria, CA7 4BZ

Map

Ordnance survey map of Silloth War Memorial
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1457909 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Sep-2019 at 16:48:34.

Location

Statutory Address:
Churchyard of Christ Church, Criffel Street, Silloth, Cumbria, CA7 4BZ

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Cumbria
District:
Allerdale (District Authority)
Parish:
Silloth-on-Solway
National Grid Reference:
NY1102053718

Summary

First World War memorial, 1921, with Second World War additions.

Reasons for Designation

Silloth War Memorial, which is situated in the churchyard of Christ Church, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:

Historic interest:

* as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on this local community, and the sacrifices it has made in the conflicts of the C20.

Architectural interest:

* an elegant and well-proportioned Balmoral granite cross.

Group value:

* with the Grade II*-listed Christ Church and the Grade II-listed Marine Terrace.

History

The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever with tens of thousands of memorials erected across England. This was the result of both the huge impact on communities of the loss of three quarters of a million British lives, and also the official policy of not repatriating the dead which meant that the memorials provided the main focus of the grief felt at this great loss. One such memorial was raised at Silloth as a permanent testament to the sacrifice made by the members of the local community who lost their lives in the First World War.

Silloth War Memorial was situated within the churchyard of Christ Church. The memorial commemorates 51 (originally 49) local servicemen who fell in the First World War and 16 men who fell in the Second World War. It was made by J Rogerson of Carlisle and cost around £395.

A faculty for the memorial’s erection was granted 8 February 1921 and it was unveiled on 1 May 1921 by Mr W Theodore Carr MP.

Details

First World War memorial, 1921.

MATERIALS: Balmoral granite.

DESCRIPTION: Silloth War Memorial is located in the churchyard of Christ Church, Criffel Street, Silloth, Cumbria. It is prominently situated by the churchyard’s low wall and faces out to sea. It comprises a Balmoral granite small cross pattee atop a tapering hexagonal shaft with elaborate moulded foot, surmounting a tall, hexagonal plinth and two-tiered moulded base. It features a relief carving of a crown to the front face, next to the word “Liberty.”

The memorial is surrounded closely by very low rails, and further out by low iron posts and chains.

The plinth bears the inscriptions in incised and blacked lettering which reads: LIBERTY// TRUTH// RIGHT// TO THE/ GLORIOUS DEAD/ IN HONOUR AND/ LOVING APPRECIATION/ OF THE MEN OF THIS/ PARISH WHO FELL/ IN THE GREAT WAR/ 1914 – 1918/ AND/ 1939 – 1945/ "LIVE THOU FOR ENGLAND/ WE FOR ENGLAND DIED."/ "THEY WERE A WALL/ UNTO US, BOTH BY/ NIGHT AND BY DAY."/ 1ST SAML XXV.16// (NAMES).

Sources

Websites
War Memorial Register, accessed 2 April 2018 from http://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/3978
War Memorials Online, accessed 2 April 2018 from https://www.warmemorialsonline.org.uk/memorial/173535/
Other
Silloth War Memorial, Wigton Advertiser, 7 May 1921

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].