Hayton War Memorial

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1457979
Date first listed:
03-Sep-2018
Statutory Address:
Churchyard of the Church of St Mary Magdalen, Church Street, Hayton, Cumbria, CA8 9HR

Map

Ordnance survey map of Hayton War Memorial
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1457979 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Sep-2019 at 13:31:00.

Location

Statutory Address:
Churchyard of the Church of St Mary Magdalen, Church Street, Hayton, Cumbria, CA8 9HR

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Cumbria
District:
Carlisle (District Authority)
Parish:
Hayton
National Grid Reference:
NY5075557685

Summary

First World War memorial, 1920.

Reasons for Designation

Hayton War Memorial, which is situated in St Mary Magdalen Churchyard, Hayton, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:

Historic interest:

* as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on this local community, and the sacrifices it has made in the conflicts of the C20.

Architectural interest:

* as a well-executed sandstone Celtic cross with carved decorative details.

Group value:

* with the Grade II*-listed Church of St Mary Magdalen and the Grade II-listed Churchyard Railings, Wall, Gates and Gatepiers, west of the Church, the Grade II-listed Hayton School and Grade II-listed Norman House.

History

The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever with tens of thousands of memorials erected across England. This was the result of both the huge impact on communities of the loss of three quarters of a million British lives, and also the official policy of not repatriating the dead which meant that the memorials provided the main focus of the grief felt at this great loss. One such memorial was raised at Hayton as a permanent testament to the sacrifice made by the members of the local community who lost their lives in the First World War.

Hayton War Memorial was situated within the churchyard. The memorial commemorates 17 local servicemen who fell in the First World War. A roll of honour in the church suggests that 59 men had served.

The memorial was designed by Carlisle-based architect, J W Benwell and made by Messrs J and R Bell of Nelson Street, Carlisle. A faculty was granted for the memorial’s erection in June 1920. The memorial was unveiled and dedicated 14 November 1920 by Archdeacon Campbell, Diocesan Chancellor.

Details

First World War memorial, 1920.

MATERIALS: sandstone from Shank quarry.

DESCRIPTION: Hayton War Memorial is located in the churchyard of St Mary Magdalen Church, Hayton, Cumbria. It is prominently situated close to the churchyard walls. It comprises a wheel-head sandstone cross on a tall, bowed shaft, with a sloping low base. The cross head and the upper half of the shaft are decorated with strap work carving. The lower half of the shaft bears the inscription in relief-carved lettering.

The inscription reads: IN EVER LIVING/ REMEMBRANCE OF/ (NAMES)/ WHO GAVE THEIR LIVES/ IN THE GREAT WAR/ 1914 – 1918/ "SO THEY PASSED OVER/ AND ALL THE TRUMPETS/ SOUNDED FOR THEM/ ON THE OTHER SIDE."

Sources

Websites
The Royal British Legion, Carlisle and Stanwix Branch , accessed 2 April 2018 from http://branches.britishlegion.org.uk/branches/carlisle/ww1-heroes-walk-of-honour/memorial-50-st-mary-magdalene-church-hayton-memorial
War Memorial Register, accessed 2 April 2018 from http://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/49708
War Memorials Online, accessed 2 April 2018 from https://www.warmemorialsonline.org.uk/memorial/176920/

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].