St Andrew's Church War Memorial, Redruth

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1458305

Date first listed: 08-Aug-2018

Location Description: St Andrew's Church War Memorial, Churchyard of St Andrew's Church, Clinton Rd, Redruth, Truro, Cornwall, TR15 2QB

Map

Ordnance survey map of St Andrew's Church War Memorial, Redruth
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1458305 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Jan-2019 at 16:01:02.

Location

Location Description: St Andrew's Church War Memorial, Churchyard of St Andrew's Church, Clinton Rd, Redruth, Truro, Cornwall, TR15 2QB

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Cornwall (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Redruth

National Grid Reference: SW7003341837

Summary

A First World War memorial, dedicated 1919; altered after the Second World War.

Reasons for Designation

St Andrew’s Church War Memorial, Redruth is listed at Grade II, for the following principal reasons:

Historic interest:

* as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on the local community, and the sacrifice it made in the conflicts of the C20.

Architectural interest:

* for its simple but dignified design.

Group value:

* with the Grade II-listed Church of St Andrew.

History

The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever with tens of thousands of memorials erected across England. This was the result of both the huge impact on communities of the loss of 750,000 British lives, and also the official policy of not repatriating the dead which meant that the memorials provided the main focus of the grief felt at this great loss. One such memorial was raised at the Church of St Andrew, Redruth, as a permanent testament to the sacrifice made by the members of the local community who lost their lives in the First World War.

In November 1918 Redruth Council stated a desire to erect a war memorial, and ‘a substantial monument of Cornish granite’ to be located in the park was proposed. However, it seems that a war memorial at the Church of St Andrew was the first to be erected; a modest timber and bronze memorial with no names of the fallen inscribed. It was dedicated on 17 July 1919 by Reverend HW Sedgwick and it is claimed to have been the first First World War memorial in Cornwall to be erected. Redruth has two First World War memorials; the one in Victoria Park (Grade II-listed), which also commemorated the Second World War and is inscribed with the names of the fallen, was relocated there from Station Hill in 1969, and was probably the realisation of the Council’s desire for a granite monument.

Details

A First World War memorial, dedicated 1919; altered after the Second World War.

MATERIALS: Granite, oak and bronze.

DESCRIPTION: The memorial takes the form of timber Calvary with a bronze of the crucified Christ, below a pitched canopy. The cross stands on a square plinth, above two steps and a base. The principal face of the plinth is inscribed in lead lettering TO THE GLORY OF GOD / IN REVERED MEMORY OF / THE MEN OF REDRUTH / WHO FELL IN THE GREAT WAR / 1914 – 1919 / 1939 - 1945. On the step below is the inscription GREATER LOVE HATH NO MAN THAN THIS / THAT A MAN LAY DOWN HIS LIFE FOR HIS FRIENDS, and on the step below THE DEAD SHALL HEAR THE VOICE OF THE SON OF GOD. The base is carved in relief with the inscription INVICTIS PAX. On the rear of the plinth is the inscription REST ETERNAL GRANT THEM, O LORD / LET LIGHT PERPETUAL SHINE UPON THEM / MAY THEY REST IN PEACE. AMEN. The cross arm of the crucifix on the rear is carved with JESU MERCY; this was originally gilt.

After the Second World War the dates 1939 – 1945 were added in lead lettering below the dates of the First World War. The canopy has been replaced or altered, as historic photographs show it with decorative pierced barge-boards.

Sources

Websites
Cornish Memory – photograph of dedication service, 1919, accessed 22 June 2018 from http://cornishmemory.com/item/WAT_22_190
Imperial War Museums War Memorials Register – St Andrew’s Parishioners, accessed 22 June 2018 from https://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/9227
Redruth team Ministry – History of St Andrew’s Church, accessed 22 June 2018 from http://www.redruthchurch.org.uk/wordpress/?page_id=569
War Memorials Online Database - Redruth WW1, accessed 22 June 2018 from https://www.warmemorialsonline.org.uk/memorial/251700
Other
‘Redruth Fallen Heroes’, The Cornishman, July 30 1919, p2
‘War Memorial’, The Cornishman, November 27 1918, p2
Cahill Partnership and Cornwall Archaeological Unit, Cornwall Industrial Settlements Initiative: Redruth and Plain-an-Gwarry, Appendix 2 (2002).

End of official listing