Nacton War Memorial

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1458469
Date first listed:
12-Sep-2018
Statutory Address:
Triangular Green, Junction of Ipswich Road and The Street, Nacton, Suffolk, IP10 0EQ

Map

Ordnance survey map of Nacton War Memorial
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1458469 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Sep-2019 at 23:18:33.

Location

Statutory Address:
Triangular Green, Junction of Ipswich Road and The Street, Nacton, Suffolk, IP10 0EQ

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Suffolk
District:
Suffolk Coastal (District Authority)
Parish:
Nacton
National Grid Reference:
TM2190539958

Summary

First World War memorial, 1920.

Reasons for Designation

Nacton War Memorial, which stands in a prominent position on a small triangle of grass at the junction of Ipswich Road and The Street, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:

Historic interest:

* as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on this local community, and the sacrifices it has made in the conflicts of the C20.

Architectural interest:

* as an elegant example of a Latin cross type of war memorial with an unusual and decorative conical plinth.

History

The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever with tens of thousands of memorials erected across England. This was the result of both the huge impact on communities of the loss of three quarters of a million British lives, and also the official policy of not repatriating the dead which meant that the memorials provided the main focus of the grief felt at this great loss. One such memorial was raised at Nacton as a permanent testament to the sacrifice made by the members of the local community who lost their lives in the First World War.

It was designed by Mr C E Eden (architect) of Ipswich and erected by Mr E E Saunders of Ipswich, who built many of the county’s war memorials. The memorial was unveiled on Sunday 3 October 1920 by Viscount Allenby GCB GC MG.

Details

First World War memorial, 1920.

MATERIALS: Clipsham stone, brick.

DESCRIPTION: the memorial stands in a prominent position on a small triangle of grass at the junction of Ipswich Road and The Street, at the centre of the village.

The memorial comprises a small Latin cross on a tall, tapering octagonal column with an octagonal plinth above a conical brick and stone structure, set on a paved brick octagonal base. The cross, column and plinth are carved from Clipsham stone and the memorial stands approximately 5m high.

The main inscription in incised and black-painted lettering around three sides of the octagonal plinth reads: THIS CROSS/ WAS ERECTED TO THE GLORY OF GOD &/ TO THE HONOUR & GRATEFUL MEMORY/ OF OUR MEN WHO FELL IN THE/ GREAT WAR 1914–1918.

The names of the 18 men who died are carved around the two stone bands that form part of the brick and stone conical structure below the octagonal plinth.

Sources

Websites
Nacton Parish Council , accessed 27 July 2017 from http://nacton.suffolk.cloud/gallery/
Roll of Honour, accessed 27 July 2017 from http://www.roll-of-honour.com/Suffolk/Nacton.html
War Memorial Register, accessed 27 July 2017 from http://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/5384
War Memorials Online, accessed 27 July 2017 from https://www.warmemorialsonline.org.uk/memorial/161658/

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].