Brightwell and Foxhall War Memorial

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1458473

Date first listed: 12-Sep-2018

Statutory Address: Churchyard of the Church of St John the Baptist, Brightwell, Suffolk, IP10 0BE

Map

Ordnance survey map of Brightwell and Foxhall War Memorial
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1458473 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Jan-2019 at 01:48:25.

Location

Statutory Address: Churchyard of the Church of St John the Baptist, Brightwell, Suffolk, IP10 0BE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Suffolk

District: Suffolk Coastal (District Authority)

Parish: Brightwell

National Grid Reference: TM2496743512

Summary

First World War memorial, 1920.

Reasons for Designation

Brightwell and Foxall War Memorial, which stands in the churchyard of the Church of St John the Baptist, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:

Historic interest:

* as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on this local community, and the sacrifices it has made in the conflicts of the C20.

Architectural interest:

* as a simple yet evocative example of a plain Latin cross memorial.

Group value:

* with the Church of St John the Baptist (Grade II*).

History

The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever with tens of thousands of memorials erected across England. This was the result of both the huge impact on communities of the loss of three quarters of a million British lives, and also the official policy of not repatriating the dead which meant that the memorials provided the main focus of the grief felt at this great loss. One such memorial was raised at Brightwell as a permanent testament to the sacrifice made by the members of the parishes of Brightwell and Foxhall who lost their lives in the First World War.

The memorial was unveiled on 18 October 1920 by Captain G A Tomlin MC.

Details

First World War memorial, 1920.

MATERIALS: Clipsham stone.

DESCRIPTION: the memorial stands in the churchyard, close to the Church of St John the Baptist (Grade II*).

The memorial comprises a plain Latin cross with a tapering octagonal shaft on a square plinth with a two-stepped octagonal base. It is carved from Clipsham stone and stands approximately 3.3m high.

The main inscription in incised lettering on the south face reads: (on plinth) TO/ THE GLORIOUS MEMORY/ OF/ BRIGHTWELL & FOXHALL/ MEN/ 1914–1918/ (on upper step of base) FAITHFUL UNTO DEATH/ (on lower step of base) GRANT THEM ETERNAL REST O LORD.

The names and regiments of the seven fallen are listed on the sides of the plinth, four on the east face and three on the west.

Sources

Websites
War Memorial Register, accessed 25 August 2017 from http://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/5444
War Memorials Online , accessed 25 August 2017 from https://www.warmemorialsonline.org.uk/memorial/117260/

End of official listing