Bucklesham War Memorial

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1458497
Date first listed:
12-Sep-2018
Statutory Address:
Churchyard of the Church of St Mary, Church Lane, Bucklesham, Suffolk, IP10 0DX

Map

Ordnance survey map of Bucklesham War Memorial
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1458497 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Sep-2019 at 17:06:39.

Location

Statutory Address:
Churchyard of the Church of St Mary, Church Lane, Bucklesham, Suffolk, IP10 0DX

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Suffolk
District:
Suffolk Coastal (District Authority)
Parish:
Bucklesham
National Grid Reference:
TM2445042044

Summary

First World War memorial, 1920, with later additions for the Second World War.

Reasons for Designation

Bucklesham War Memorial, which stands in the churchyard of the Church of St Mary, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:

Historic interest:

* as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on this local community, and the sacrifices it has made in the conflicts of the C20.

Architectural interest:

* as a striking and well-carved crucifix memorial..

Group value:

* with the Church of St Mary (Grade II*) and The Old Rectory (Grade II).

History

The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever with tens of thousands of memorials erected across England. This was the result of both the huge impact on communities of the loss of three quarters of a million British lives, and also the official policy of not repatriating the dead which meant that the memorials provided the main focus of the grief felt at this great loss. One such memorial was raised at Bucklesham as a permanent testament to the sacrifice made by the members of the local community who lost their lives in the First World War.

It was erected by Messrs Clary and Wright (masons). The memorial was unveiled on Sunday 14 November 1920 by Sir Arthur Churchman MP.

The names of those parishioners who fell during the Second World War were subsequently added to the memorial.

Details

First World War memorial, 1920, with later additions for the Second World War.

DESCRIPTION: the memorial stands in the churchyard, immediately to the south of the Church of St Mary (Grade II*) and close to The Old Rectory (Grade II).

The memorial comprises an elaborately carved stone crucifix on a tapering square plinth with a two-stepped square base. It stands approximately 2.7m high. Above the stone figure of Christ is a carved scroll inscribed with INRI.

At the foot of the plinth on the west side of the memorial is a rectangular stone plaque with flower holders cut in on either side.

The main inscription in incised lettering on the west face of the plinth reads: (west face) TO THE GLORY OF GOD/ AND IN HONOURED/ AND GRATEFUL MEMORY/ OF THE MEN OF THIS PARISH/ WHO FELL IN THE GREAT WAR/ 1914 – 1918/ (north face) (4 NAMES)/ (south face) (3 NAMES).

An additional inscription on a rectangular stone plaque attached to the west face of the base reads: ALSO OF THOSE WHO GAVE/ THEIR LIVES IN THE/ WORLD WAR 1939 – 1945/ (2 NAMES).

Sources

Websites
War Memorial Register, accessed 24 August 2017 from http://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/5447

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].