Bungay War Memorial

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1458625

Date first listed: 12-Sep-2018

Statutory Address: Outside St Mary's Churchyard, St Mary's Street, Bungay, Suffolk, NR35 1AP

Map

Ordnance survey map of Bungay War Memorial
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1458625 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Jan-2019 at 01:54:51.

Location

Statutory Address: Outside St Mary's Churchyard, St Mary's Street, Bungay, Suffolk, NR35 1AP

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Suffolk

District: Waveney (District Authority)

Parish: Bungay

National Grid Reference: TM3364089729

Summary

First World War memorial, 1921, with later additions for the Second World War.

Reasons for Designation

Bungay War Memorial, which stands in a prominent roadside location close to the Church of St Mary, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:

Historic interest:

* as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on this local community, and the sacrifices it has made in the conflicts of the C20.

Architectural interest:

* as an elegant and well-executed wheel-head cross with carved decorative details.

Group value:

* with the Church of St Mary (Grade I).

History

The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever with tens of thousands of memorials erected across England. This was the result of both the huge impact on communities of the loss of three quarters of a million British lives, and also the official policy of not repatriating the dead which meant that the memorials provided the main focus of the grief felt at this great loss. One such memorial was raised at Bungay as a permanent testament to the sacrifice made by the members of the local community who lost their lives in the First World War.

It was designed by Alexander MacDonald and Co (architects). The memorial was unveiled on Sunday 13 November 1921 by E H Wightman JP.

The names of those parishioners who fell during the Second World War were subsequently added to the memorial.

Details

First World War memorial, 1921, with later additions for the Second World War.

DESCRIPTION: the memorial stands in a prominent roadside location, close to the Church of St Mary (Grade I).

The memorial comprises a stone Celtic cross with a tapering shaft and foot bearing a relief-carved laurel wreath on a substantial, gently tapering square plinth and two-stepped square base. The plinth is rough-hewn with inset plain rectangular panels bearing the names of the fallen. The face of the cross is decorated with elaborately carved knotwork.

The main inscription in leaded lettering on the west face of the shaft of the cross reads: TO THE/ GLORY OF GOD/ AND IN/ PROUD AND THANKFUL/ REMEMBRANCE OF THE/ OFFICERS AND MEN/ FROM THE/ PARISH OF BUNGAY/ WHO GAVE/ THEIR LIVES FOR/ KING AND COUNTRY/ IN THE/ GREAT WAR/ 1914 – 1919/ THEIR NAME LIVETH/ FOR EVERMORE.

The names of the 102 parishioners who gave their lives during the First World War are inscribed in leaded lettering in recessed panels on the north, west and south faces of the plinth.

An additional inscription on the east face of the foot of the cross reads: BUNGAY ROLL OF HONOUR/ THE SECOND WORLD WAR/ 1939 – 1945. Beneath this on the plinth are 37 names.

Sources

Websites
War Memorial Register, accessed 22 August 2017 from http://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/8945
War Memorials Online, accessed 22 August 2017 from https://www.warmemorialsonline.org.uk/memorial/171853/

End of official listing