Knodishall War Memorial

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1458639

Date first listed: 12-Sep-2018

Statutory Address: Churchyard of the Church of St Lawrence, Church Road, Knodishall, Suffolk, IP17 1TW

Map

Ordnance survey map of Knodishall War Memorial
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1458639 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Jan-2019 at 16:04:21.

Location

Statutory Address: Churchyard of the Church of St Lawrence, Church Road, Knodishall, Suffolk, IP17 1TW

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Suffolk

District: Suffolk Coastal (District Authority)

Parish: Knodishall

National Grid Reference: TM4257261946

Summary

First World War memorial, 1919, with later additions for the Second World War.

Reasons for Designation

Knodishall War Memorial, which stands in the churchyard of the Church of St Lawrence, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:

Historic interest:

* as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on this local community, and the sacrifices it has made in the conflicts of the C20.

Architectural interest:

* as an elegant and well-executed granite obelisk.

Group value:

* with the Church of St Lawrence (Grade II*).

History

The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever with tens of thousands of memorials erected across England. This was the result of both the huge impact on communities of the loss of three quarters of a million British lives, and also the official policy of not repatriating the dead which meant that the memorials provided the main focus of the grief felt at this great loss. One such memorial was raised at Knodishall as a permanent testament to the sacrifice made by the members of the local community who lost their lives in the First World War. It was erected by Mr E E Saunders (builder) of Ipswich, who erected many other war memorials in nearby parishes. The memorial was unveiled on 26 October 1919.

The names of those parishioners who fell during the Second World War were subsequently added to the memorial.

Details

First World War memorial, 1919, with later additions for the Second World War.

MATERIALS: polished granite.

DESCRIPTION: the memorial stands in the churchyard, close to the Church of St Lawrence (Grade II*).

The memorial comprises a polished granite obelisk on a square plinth with a two-stepped square base. It stands approximately 2.4m high.

The main inscription in incised and black-painted lettering on the west face of the plinth reads: IN MEMORY OF/ THE BRAVE MEN/ OF THIS PARISH/ WHO GAVE THEIR LIVES/ FOR THEIR COUNTRY/ IN THE GREAT WAR/ 1914 – 1918/ GREATER LOVE HATH NO MAN/ THAN THIS, THAT A MAN LAY/ DOWN HIS LIFE FOR HIS FRIENDS.

The names of the fallen are incised on the south and north faces of the plinth.

A further inscription on the upper step of the base reads: WORLD WAR/ 1939 – 1945/ (4 NAMES) .

Sources

Websites
War Memorial Register, accessed 25 July 2017 from http://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/5520
War Memorials Online, accessed 25 July 2017 from https://www.warmemorialsonline.org.uk/memorial/235276/

End of official listing