South Cove War Memorial

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1458742
Date first listed:
12-Sep-2018
Statutory Address:
Churchyard of the Church of St Lawrence, South Cove, Waveney, Suffolk, NR34 7JD

Map

Ordnance survey map of South Cove War Memorial
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1458742 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Sep-2019 at 16:59:13.

Location

Statutory Address:
Churchyard of the Church of St Lawrence, South Cove, Waveney, Suffolk, NR34 7JD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Suffolk
District:
Waveney (District Authority)
Parish:
South Cove
National Grid Reference:
TM4996780884

Summary

First World War memorial with later additions for the Second World War.

Reasons for Designation

South Cove War Memorial, which stands in the churchyard of the Church of St Lawrence, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:

Historic interest:

* as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on this local community, and the sacrifices it has made in the conflicts of the C20.

Architectural interest:

* as an elegant and well-executed stone wheel-head cross with ornately carved interlace designs.

Group value:

* with the Church of St Lawrence (Grade I).

History

The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever with tens of thousands of memorials erected across England. This was the result of both the huge impact on communities of the loss of three quarters of a million British lives, and also the official policy of not repatriating the dead which meant that the memorials provided the main focus of the grief felt at this great loss. One such memorial was raised at South Cove as a permanent testament to the sacrifice made by the five members of the local community who lost their lives in the First World War. The memorial had been erected by the time that the local Ordnance Survey sheet was revised in 1925.

The names of the three parishioners who fell during the Second World War were subsequently added to the memorial, as were the names of an American air crew who lost their lives when their plane crashed in the parish in 1945. The amended cross was unveiled on 17 April 1949 by Colonel Sir Robert Gooch, Baronet of nearby Benacre Hall, and rededicated by the Reverend A H N Waller.

Details

First World War memorial with later additions for the Second World War.

DESCRIPTION: the memorial stands in a prominent location in the churchyard of the church of St Lawrence (Grade I), immediately beside the path between the entrance gate and the door of the church.

The memorial comprises a 2m high stone Celtic wheel-head cross, decorated with elaborate relief-carved interlace decoration. The main inscription in leaded lettering on the front of the cross shaft reads: IN/ GRATEFUL/ MEMORY OF THE/ FIVE/ SOUTH COVE MEN/ WHO MADE THE/ SUPREME SACRIFICE/ IN THE/ GREAT WAR/ 1914 – 1918.

On the front of the plinth is the inscription: (5 NAMES)/ THEY GAVE THEIR LIVES TO SERVE THEIR GOD/ THEIR KING AND THEIR COUNTRY IN DEFENCE/ OF TRUTH, LIBERTY AND JUSTICE.

On the western side of the plinth an additional inscription added in 1949 reads: AND THOSE WHO GAVE THEIR/ LIVES FOR US IN THE/ SECOND WORLD WAR/ 1939 – 1945/ (3 NAMES)/ ALSO IN MEMORY OF/ THE AMERICAN AIRMEN WHO/ LOST THEIR LIVES IN THIS PARISH/ MARCH 1945.

Sources

Websites
American Air Museum in Britain, accessed 25 August 2017 from http://www.americanairmuseum.com/place/138227
War Memorial Register, accessed 25 August 2017 from http://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/5053

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].