Honingham and East Tuddenham War Memorial

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1458759

Date first listed: 28-Aug-2018

Statutory Address: Triangular Green, Junction of The Street and Hall Drive, Honingham, Norfolk, NR9 5BL

Map

Ordnance survey map of Honingham and East Tuddenham War Memorial
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1458759 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Jan-2019 at 00:52:17.

Location

Statutory Address: Triangular Green, Junction of The Street and Hall Drive, Honingham, Norfolk, NR9 5BL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Norfolk

District: Broadland (District Authority)

Parish: Honingham

National Grid Reference: TG1027811836

Summary

First World War memorial, 1919.

Reasons for Designation

Honingham and East Tuddenham War Memorial, which stands on a triangular green at the junction of The Street and Hall Drive, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:

Historic interest:

* as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on this local community, and the sacrifices it has made in the First World War.

Architectural interest:

* as a simple but well-executed wooden triptych shrine.

Group value:

* with the Grade II-listed 39, 40 and 41 The Street.

History

The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever with tens of thousands of memorials erected across England. This was the result of both the huge impact on communities of the loss of three quarters of a million British lives, and also the official policy of not repatriating the dead which meant that the memorials provided the main focus of the grief felt at this great loss. One such memorial was raised at Honingham as a permanent testament to the sacrifice made by the members of the local community who lost their lives in the First World War.

Honingham and East Tuddenham War Memorial is situated on a triangular green at the north entrance to the village of Honingham. A public meeting was held on 27 June 1919 chaired by the Right Hon Sir Ailwyn Fellowes to ascertain what form should be taken to commemorate the First World War. Fellowes wished to put an oak tablet in the church to commemorate those who fell in the First World War and all those who had served. Both the church tablet and a war memorial in the village were commissioned.

The village memorial commemorates 35 local servicemen who fell in the First World War. It takes the form of a triptych shrine with double wooden doors. On the inside of the left hand door are the names of 19 men of Honingham who died during the First World War, whilst the right hand door bears the names of 16 men of East Tuddenham who died.

The reference to ‘Curly’ above the doors is to Major Hedworth George Ailwyn Fellowes, killed in action in 1917. He was the third son of the Right Hon Sir Ailwyn Fellowes and Hon Lady Mildred Fellowes, who owned the Honingham Estate, lived at Honingham Hall and commissioned the memorial to their son and the local men, with Curly as the prominent name on the memorial.

The memorial was dedicated by the Bishop of Norwich on 28 September 1919.

Details

First World War memorial, 1919.

DESCRIPTION: Honingham and East Tuddenham War Memorial is located on a triangular green at the north entrance to the village at the junction of The Street and Hall Drive, Honingham, Norfolk. It is prominently situated beneath the green’s tree and within a small fence. It comprises a triangular-headed wooden triptych shrine with double wooden doors revealing the calvary with silver-coloured effigy of Christ on a wooden cross. The whole is mounted on “legs” on a concrete platform base. A simple canopy over the top is covered with a copper-based metal. The shrine has painted lettering on the inside and outside.

The inscription is painted and reads (pediment): IN/ MEMORY OF/ CURLY/ AND (Left door): HONINGHAM/ ROLL/ OF HONOUR/ (NAMES)// (Right door): E. TUDDENHAM/ ROLL/ OF HONOUR (NAMES)// (Centre top): GREATER LOVE HATH/ NO MAN THAN THIS.// (Centre bottom): THE HEROIC DEAD// (Base): SO HE PASSED OVER AND ALL THE TRUMPETS/ SOUNDED FOR HIM ON THE OTHER SIDE.

Sources

Websites
Breckland Roll of Honour, accessed 2 April 2018 from http://www.breckland-rollofhonour.org.uk/honingham.html
Honingham Village, accessed 16 July 2018 from http://honinghampc.norfolkparishes.gov.uk/category/village-history/page/11/
War Memorial Register, accessed 2 April 2018 from http://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/56255
War Memorials Online, accessed 2 April 2018 from https://www.warmemorialsonline.org.uk/memorial/180890/
Other
Honingham War Memorial, Eastern Daily Press, 29 Septermber 1919

End of official listing