Thurston War Memorial

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1458772
Date first listed:
12-Sep-2018
Statutory Address:
Churchyard of the Church of St Peter, Church Road, Thurston, Suffolk, IP31 3RU

Map

Ordnance survey map of Thurston War Memorial
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1458772.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 12-Nov-2019 at 17:03:47.

Location

Statutory Address:
Churchyard of the Church of St Peter, Church Road, Thurston, Suffolk, IP31 3RU

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Suffolk
District:
Mid Suffolk (District Authority)
Parish:
Thurston
National Grid Reference:
TL9286565259

Summary

First World War memorial, 1920, with later additions for the Second World War.

Reasons for Designation

Thurston War Memorial, which stands in a prominent position on the western boundary of the churchyard of the Church of St Peter (Grade II) and facing Church Road, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:

Historic interest:

* as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on this local community, and the sacrifices it has made in the conflicts of the C20.

Architectural interest:

* as a well-executed wheel-head cross with carved decorative details.

Group value:

* with the Church of St Peter (Grade II).

History

The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever with tens of thousands of memorials erected across England. This was the result of both the huge impact on communities of the loss of three quarters of a million British lives, and also the official policy of not repatriating the dead which meant that the memorials provided the main focus of the grief felt at this great loss. One such memorial was raised at Thurston as a permanent testament to the sacrifice made by the members of the local community who lost their lives in the First World War. It was erected by Mr A H Hanchet (builder) of Bury St Edmunds and unveiled on Sunday 21 November 1920 by Major E E Pearson.

The names of those parishioners who fell during the Second World War were subsequently added to the memorial.

Details

First World War memorial, 1920, with later additions for the Second World War.

MATERIALS: Forest of Dean stone.

DESCRIPTION: the memorial stands in a prominent position on the western boundary of the churchyard of the Church of St Peter (Grade II) and facing Church Road. The memorial comprises a Celtic wheel-head cross with tapering shaft on a square two-stepped plinth with a single-stepped base. The arms of the cross are decorated with relief-carved interlace. The memorial is carved from blue Forest of Dean stone and it stands approximately 2.7m high.

The main inscription in incised and black-painted lettering on the lower step of the plinth reads: (west face) “THEIR NAME LIVETH FOR EVERMORE”/ 1914/ (1 NAME)/ 1915/ (2 NAMES) (north face) 1916/ (3 NAMES)/ 1917/ (1 NAME)/ (south face) 1918/ (5 NAMES) (east face) 1919/ (1 NAME)/ ERECTED IN GRATEFUL MEMORY OF/ THE MEN OF THURSTON/ WHO GAVE THEIR LIVES FOR THEIR COUNTRY.

An additional inscription on the west face of the cross shaft reads: IN/ MEMORY/ OF/ THOSE WHO/ GAVE THEIR/ LIVES DURING/ 1939 – 1945. Nine further names are incised on the upper step of the plinth.

Sources

Websites
War Memorial Register, accessed 27 July 2017 from http://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/4867
War Memorials Online, accessed 27 July 2017 from https://www.warmemorialsonline.org.uk/memorial/135755/
Other
‘Thurston’s Memorial to the Fallen, Bury Free Press, Sunday 27 November 1920

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].