Braiseworth War Memorial

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1459054
Date first listed:
18-Sep-2018
Statutory Address:
Churchyard of the former Church of St Mary, Braiseworth Road, Braiseworth, Eye, Suffolk, IP23 7DS

Map

Ordnance survey map of Braiseworth War Memorial
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1459054.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 14-Nov-2019 at 14:11:58.

Location

Statutory Address:
Churchyard of the former Church of St Mary, Braiseworth Road, Braiseworth, Eye, Suffolk, IP23 7DS

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Suffolk
District:
Mid Suffolk (District Authority)
Parish:
Braiseworth
National Grid Reference:
TM1334371792

Summary

War memorial. Erected, following the First World War, in 1921. A further inscription was added after the Second World War.

Reasons for Designation

Braiseworth War Memorial, built in 1921 in the churchyard of the former Church of St Mary, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:

Historic interest: * as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on the local community, and the sacrifice it made in the conflicts of the C20;

Architectural interest: * as an elegant and well-crafted memorial, including a Celtic cross set on a tapering shaft and plinth carved from Portland stone;

Group value: * with the adjacent Grade II-listed former Church of St Mary.

History

The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever with tens of thousands of memorials erected across England. This was the result of both the huge impact on communities of the loss of three quarters of a million British lives, and also the official policy of not repatriating the dead: therefore the memorials provided the main focus of the grief felt at this great loss.

One such memorial was raised in the churchyard at Braiseworth as a permanent testament to the sacrifice made by members of the local community who lost their lives in the First World War. It was unveiled during a memorial service on 10 April 1921 by Major R N G Bingley and dedicated by Reverend E F Bingley, Rector of Thornham Magna. A commemorative inscription to those parishioners who fell during the Second World War was subsequently added to the memorial. The Church of St Mary (Grade II-listed, National Heritage List for England 1032267), in whose churchyard the memorial stands, was constructed in 1857 and replaced a medieval church. It was declared redundant in the 1970s and is now a private residence.

Details

War memorial. Erected, following the First World War, in 1921. A further inscription was added after the Second World War.

MATERIALS: carved from Portland stone.

DESCRIPTION: The memorial is situated in the churchyard of the redundant Church of St Mary, north-west of the former church. It comprises a Celtic cross set on a tapering shaft and trapezoidal plinth, together about 2.5m high. The front (west) face of the shaft is inscribed in incised lettering: TO THE/ GLORY OF/ GOD,/ AND IN/ HONOURED/ MEMORY OF/ THE MEN/ OF/ BRAISEWORTH/ WHO GAVE/ THEIR LIVES/ FOR THEIR/ COUNTRY/ IN THE/ GREAT WAR/ 1914-1918/ AND THE WAR/ 1939-1945. On the front face of the plinth are five names below which is the inscription in incised lettering: GREATER LOVE HATH NO MAN THAN THIS.

Sources

Websites
Imperial War Museum War Memorials Register, accessed 23 August 2017 from http://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/4705
Suffolk Churches: St Mary Braiseworth, accessed 23 August 2017 from http://www.suffolkchurches.co.uk/braiseworthnew.htm

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].