Avon Dassett War Memorial

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1460622

Date first listed: 08-Nov-2018

Location Description: The village war memorial is situation on the Main Street in Avon Dassett

Map

Ordnance survey map of Avon Dassett War Memorial
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1460622 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Jan-2019 at 09:02:17.

Location

Location Description: The village war memorial is situation on the Main Street in Avon Dassett

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Warwickshire

District: Stratford-on-Avon (District Authority)

Parish: Avon Dassett

National Grid Reference: SP4092249905

Summary

A First World War memorial dating from 1925, moved to its present position in 1968.

Reasons for Designation

The war memorial in Avon Dassett is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:

Architectural interest:

* as a well designed and made stone cross war memorial, with good detailing.

Historic interest:

* as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events of this community, and the sacrifices it made in the conflicts of the C20.

History

The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever with tens of thousands of memorials erected across England. This was the result of both the huge impact on communities of the loss of three quarters of a million British lives, and also the official policy of not repatriating the dead which meant that the memorials provided the main focus of the grief felt at this great loss.

The memorial originally stood in the churchyard at the Church of St John the Baptist, and was unveiled in October 1925. Following the Second World War, the memorial was altered to include a dedication to those of the parish lost in that conflict. The memorial was moved to its present location in 1968.

Details

A First World War memorial dating from 1925, moved to its present position in 1968.

MATERIALS AND PLAN: the memorial is constructed of stone and it stands on a raised bank on the south side of the main road through the village.

DESCRIPTION: the memorial takes the form of a Celtic-style wheel cross, which stands atop a tapering shaft which itself is atop a tapered base.

On the base is carved the inscription, 'TO THE MEMORY OF/ (NAMES)/ MEN OF THIS PARISH/ WHO GAVE THEIR LIVES/ IN THE GREAT WAR 1914-1918/ RIP/ TO THE MEMORY OF/ (NAMES)/ WHO GAVE THEIR LIVES/ IN THE 1939-45 WAR/ RIP/ RE-DEDICATED ON REMEMBRANCE SUNDAY 1968 AFTER REMOVAL TO THIS SITE'.

Sources

Websites
Imperial War Museums inventory ref. 51911, accessed 02.10.2018 from https://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/51911
War Memorials Online ref. 259549, accessed 02.10.2018 from https://www.warmemorialsonline.org.uk/memorial/259549/
Other
Lichfield Mercury, 9.10.1925

End of official listing