THE HERMITAGE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1461568
Date first listed:
18-Mar-1986
Statutory Address:
Statutory Address:
WESTBURY, SHREWSBURY AND ATCHAM, SHROPSHIRE
Statutory Address:
WESTBURY, SHROPSHIRE

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE HERMITAGE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1461568 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Sep-2019 at 15:00:42.

Location

Statutory Address:
Statutory Address:
WESTBURY, SHREWSBURY AND ATCHAM, SHROPSHIRE
Statutory Address:
WESTBURY, SHROPSHIRE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Shropshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Westbury
National Grid Reference:
SJ3554609501

Details

J 3509 WESTBURY C.P. WESTBURY

1101/18/124 The Hermitage

GV II

Farmhouse, latterly school, now house. Circa 1728 and extended c. 1736 incorporating probably late C16 core; mid-to C19 alterations and additions. Red brick with some coursed yellow sandstone rubble rebuilding and additions at rear; slate roof 3-room plan with C19 additions at rear. 2 storeys over cellar. Dentil brick eaves cornice; brick ridge stack off-centre to left and integral brick end stack to right. Segmental-headed wooden casements with louvred shutters; 2 first-floor 2-light casements to right and pairs of ground-floor cross-casements flanking door with 6 flush panels (top 2 glazed) panelled reveals, moulded architrave; probably early timber porch with lattice sides, round archway, frieze with lozenge decoration, and triangular pedimented top; probably slightly later addition (or re-fronting- see straight joint) to left with first-floor 2-light casement and ground-floor cross-casement. Two C19 gabled wings at rear. Probably C18 and C19 rubble and timber-framed stable wing adjoining to west. INTERIOR: remains of C16 house in centre room including chamfered beam and plain joists, blocked large open fireplace and blocked fire window. Probably C18 timber framed partition walls upstairs. The staircase rises from the entrance lobby. SOURCE: C. Ryan, The Evolution of the Peasant House in Shropshire: Medieval-C1850. The Parish of Westbury unpublished thesis (October 1979) Manchester University , p. 110-111.

This building was removed from the list by virtue of the 6th amendment of the 41st list in error.

Listing NGR: SJ3554609497

Sources

None.

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].