Dilwyn War Memorial

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1461619
Date first listed:
12-Mar-2019
Statutory Address:
Church of St Mary, Dilwyn, Hereford, HR4 8HN

Map

Ordnance survey map of Dilwyn War Memorial
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1461619.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Nov-2019 at 01:34:01.

Location

Statutory Address:
Church of St Mary, Dilwyn, Hereford, HR4 8HN

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
County of Herefordshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Dilwyn
National Grid Reference:
SO4151254633

Summary

First World War memorial, 1922, by WG Storr Barber, with later additions for the Second World War.

Reasons for Designation

Dilwyn War Memorial is listed at Grade II, for the following principal reasons: Historic interest:

* as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on the local community, and the sacrifice it made in the conflicts of the C20.

Architectural interest:

* a well-executed and evocative example of a soldier in mourning memorial by a skilful mason.

Group value:

* with the nearby Church of St Mary, listed at Grade I.

History

The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever with tens of thousands of memorials erected across England. This was the result of both the huge impact on communities of the loss of three quarters of a million British lives, and the official policy of not repatriating the dead. Memorials, therefore, provided the main focus of the grief felt at this great loss.

One such memorial was raised at Dilwyn as a permanent testament to the sacrifice made by the members of the local community in the First World War. It was designed by WG Storr Barber of Leominster, and was unveiled in 1922.

William George Storr Barber (active 1908-1920s) was a monumental mason and sculptor originally based in Leominster. There, he carved the statue of St Ethelbert (1908) for the Catholic Church, as well as restoring the Old Town Hall (1909). He seems to have moved to the capital sometime between then and the early 1920s, for his statue for Leominster’s war memorial (1922) was modelled in his London studio. He was responsible for a number of memorials in the Hereford and Worcester area, including Craven Arms and Kimbolton.

As was a common occurrence, the names of the parishioners who fell during the Second World War were subsequently added to the memorial.

Details

First World War memorial, 1922, by WG Storr Barber, with later additions for the Second World War.

MATERIALS: Portland stone.

PLAN: the memorial, which stands on a square base with a concentric border, is located at the entrance to the churchyard of the Church of St Mary.

DESCRIPTION: the memorial comprises a statue of a soldier in mourning, his head bowed and hand resting on a reversed rifle. The statue is mounted on a plinth and base, and is surrounded by a low wall.

The main inscription, which is on the eastern side of the plinth, in incised and black-painted lettering, reads: ‘TO THE HONOUR AND GLORY / OF GOD, AND IN GRATEFUL / REMEMBRANCE OF THE MEN / OF THIS PARISH WHO MADE / THE SUPREME SACRIFICE / IN THE GREAT WAR, AND / WHOSE NAMES ARE WRITTEN / HERE, THIS MEMORIAL IS / ERECTED BY THEIR RELATIVES / AND FRIENDS.’ On the south face of the plinth and the base are the names of the fallen soldiers, and the dedication to those lost in the Second World War.

Sources

Websites
Imperial War Museums, War Memorials Register: Dilwyn - WW1 and WW2, accessed 21/11/2018 from https://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/66195
The Parish of Dilwyn Community Gateway, Dilwyn RBL [Royal British Legion] History , accessed 21/11/2018 from http://dilwyn.com/index.php/history/articles/dilwyn-rbl-history

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].