Parish Boundary Stone, approximately 133m east by south-east of Cow Lane, Bollington

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1461690
Date first listed:
22-Mar-2019
Location Description:
Located in a field tight against a hedgerow approximately 133m east by south-east of Cow Lane, Bollington and 140m south-west of Rainow Mill, this stone marks the former junction of boundaries between Bollington, Rainow and Kerridge. Bollington and Kerridge have since been merged, there no longer being any statutory or parochial boundary between them.
Statutory Address:
Approximately 133m east by south-east of Cow Lane, Bollington, Cheshire East, SK10 5BP

Map

Ordnance survey map of Parish Boundary Stone, approximately 133m east by south-east of Cow Lane, Bollington
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1461690 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Sep-2019 at 03:18:28.

Location

Statutory Address:
Approximately 133m east by south-east of Cow Lane, Bollington, Cheshire East, SK10 5BP

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Location Description:
Located in a field tight against a hedgerow approximately 133m east by south-east of Cow Lane, Bollington and 140m south-west of Rainow Mill, this stone marks the former junction of boundaries between Bollington, Rainow and Kerridge. Bollington and Kerridge have since been merged, there no longer being any statutory or parochial boundary between them.
District:
Cheshire East (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Bollington
District:
Cheshire East (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Rainow
National Grid Reference:
SJ9401177403

Summary

Parish boundary stone, late C18 or early C19.

Reasons for Designation

This parish boundary stone of late-C18 or early-C19 date, is listed at Grade II, for the following principal reasons:

Architectural interest:

* it is a good example of a late-C18 or early-C19 boundary stone, remaining in its original location;

* a well-executed round-headed design with clear lettering on two faces and one side.

Historic interest:

* unusually, it marks the junction of three parochial parish boundaries, and is an important tangible reminder of the jurisdiction of the late-C18 or early-C19 parochial councils.

Group value:

* it has spatial, historic and functional group value with several other contemporary listed boundary stones in the environs of Bollington.

History

Bollington is a civil parish in Cheshire East, situated on the northern slopes of Kerridge Ridge. During the late C18 and early C19 the area was occupied by five parish councils: Bollington, Rainow, Kerridge, Shrigley and Prestbury. The parochial parish boundaries were marked out by boundary stones and ten of these stones have since been listed at Grade II. The boundary between Bollington and Rainow follows the alignment of Kerridge Ridge and meets at the northern boundary of the parish of Kerridge, a little to the east of Cow Lane. The junction between the three boundaries is marked by a late-C18 to early-C19 boundary stone; however, at the time of the 1848 Tithe map, Kerridge and Bollington are shown as a single parish, and the stone was not included on the map. The boundary stone is shown on the 1:2,500 Ordnance Survey map of 1871 and continues to be depicted until 1954; however, after that date it is no longer marked. It is thought that around this time, the stone was toppled and buried, as it is not depicted on any subsequent Ordnance Survey map. The toppled stone was uncovered at its original location by the Kerridge Ridge and Ingersley Vale Countryside Volunteers in 2011 and was re-erected.

Details

Parish boundary stone, late C18 or early C19.

MATERIALS: sandstone ashlar.

DESCRIPTION: the boundary stone is set on the western side of a field boundary, perpendicular to the alignment of the hedgerow that formerly functioned as the boundary between Bollington and Rainow. It has a similar appearance to a small gravestone, standing approximately 0.5m high; the lower half of the stone has vertical sides and is buried in the ground, while the upper half has gently sloped sides and a semi-circular head. The north face of the stone has an inscribed 'B', representing Bollington, and the south face has a 'K' representing Kerridge. The west side is unadorned, while the east side has an inscribed 'R', which is incised a little lower than the other letters and represents Rainow.

Sources

Websites
Happy Valley Bollington - Boundary Stones, accessed 23 November 2018 from https://happyvalley.org.uk/?page_id=8749
On the Ridge: The Kerridge - Bollington - Rainhaw Boundary Stone, accessed 25 November 2018 from http://kriv-volunteers.blogspot.com/2015/06/the-kerridge-bollington-rainow-boundary.html

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].