Arden Family War Memorial

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1462193
Date first listed:
05-Jun-2019
Statutory Address:
Church of St Peter, Main Street, Yoxall, Staffordshire, DE13 8NF

Map

Ordnance survey map of Arden Family War Memorial
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1462193 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Sep-2019 at 02:15:38.

Location

Statutory Address:
Church of St Peter, Main Street, Yoxall, Staffordshire, DE13 8NF

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Staffordshire
District:
East Staffordshire (District Authority)
Parish:
Yoxall
National Grid Reference:
SK1419319087

Summary

A sandstone memorial to the Arden family.

Reasons for Designation

The Arden Family Memorial at Yoxall is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:

Historic interest:

* it is an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on the local community, and the sacrifice made by the Arden family in the First World War.

Architectural interest:

* it is a well-constructed war memorial with a well-detailed Calvary Cross.

Group value:

* it has group value with the Church of St Peter (Grade II*) and a number of other buildings at Grade II.

History

The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever with tens of thousands of memorials erected across England. One such memorial was raised at Yoxall, at an unknown date, as a permanent testament to the sacrifice made by Humphrey Arden. Little is known about the war memorial, however it was built at the direction of Reverend William Henry Percival Arden and his wife Emily in memory of their son Humphrey W Arden who died at Messines on 6 June 1917 and was buried at Bailleul, France. His parents later had their ashes interred below the memorial in the late 1950s. The memorial is shown on the Ordnance Survey Map of 1975.

In 2016 the memorial was conserved with the help of grant funding administered by War Memorials Trust.

Details

A war memorial of unknown date.

MATERIALS: constructed of sandstone.

DESCRIPTION: the memorial takes the form of a Calvary cross on a chamfered shaft surmounting a moulded plinth on a two-stepped base. A stone tablet is set into the east face of the plinth and bears a metal roundel with a coat of arms, underneath which is the incised inscription: IN THANKSGIVING TO ALMIGHTY GOD/ FOR THE/ BEAUTIFUL LIFE AND GLORIOUS DEATH/ OF HUMPHREY WARWICK ARDEN BA CANTAB/ FO, ORCA/ KILLED AT MESSINES JUNE 6 1917 AGED 25/ LAID TO REST AT BAILLEUL FRANCE/ SED MILES SED PRO PATRIA/ RIP.

A stone tablet set into the south face of the plinth reads BELOW LIE THE ASHES OF/ WILLIAM HENRY PERCIVAL ARDEN PRIEST/ (YOUNGEST SON OF/ GEORGE PINKARD ARDEN/ OF LONGCROFT HALL)/ WHO DIED 23 FEBRUARY 1956 AGED 93/ ALSO THE ASHES OF HIS WIFE/ EMILY BEATRICE/ (YOUNGEST DAUGHTER OF THE REV JD LOWE/ SOMETIME RECTOR OF YOXALL)/ WHO DIED 23 MARCH 1956 AGED 88/ THEY ERECTED THIS CALVARY IN MEMORY/ OF THEIR ONLY SURVIVING CHILD/ HUMPHREY WARWICK ARDEN.

A tablet set into the west face of the plinth bears a metal roundel, underneath which is the incised inscription SON AND ONLY SURVIVING CHILD/ OF THE REV/ WILLIAM HENRY PERCIVAL ARDEN/ AND EMILY BEATRICE HIS WIFE/ GRANDSON OF GP ARDEN ESQ/ OF LONGCROFT HALL/ AND OF THE REV JB LOWE DD/ SOMETIME RECTOR OF THIS PARISH.

Sources

Websites
War Memorials Online - Arden Family , accessed 29 January 2019 from https://www.warmemorialsonline.org.uk/memorial/201069

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].