Dedworth and Clewer War Memorial

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1462252
Date first listed:
08-Mar-2019
Location Description:
Statutory Address:
Clewer Memorial Park, Dedworth Road, Windsor

Map

Ordnance survey map of Dedworth and Clewer War Memorial
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1462252 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Sep-2019 at 02:01:59.

Location

Statutory Address:
Clewer Memorial Park, Dedworth Road, Windsor

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Location Description:
District:
Windsor and Maidenhead (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Non Civil Parish
National Grid Reference:
SU9510676475

Summary

War memorial, unveiled in 1923. The war memorial is set in a small circular enclosure lined with box hedging and other planting, at the south end of the Clewer Memorial Recreation Ground fronting Dedworth Road.

Reasons for Designation

Dedworth and Clewer War Memorial, of 1923, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons: Historic interest: * as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of the First World War on this local community, and the sacrifice it made in that conflict. Architectural interest: * a simple yet poignant obelisk and a rare example of a memorial incorporating a drinking fountain.

History

The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever with tens of thousands of memorials erected across England. This was the result of both the huge impact on communities of the loss of three quarters of a million British lives, and also the official policy of not repatriating the dead: therefore the memorials provided the main focus of the grief felt at this great loss. One such memorial was raised as part of a wider memorial recreation ground at Clewer, Windsor. It provides a permanent testament to the sacrifice made by 190 members of the communities of Dedworth and Clewer, who lost their lives in the First World War. Following the Second World War a dedication to the men who died in that conflict was added to the memorial. The memorial was refurbished in 1999, and the surrounding paths and planting improved in 2009.

The Dedworth and Clewer War Memorial was unveiled in the presence of the Earl of Athlone on Saturday 28 January 1923. The service was conducted by the Rector of Clewer, Arthur T C Cowie, assisted by the Vicar of Clewer, St Stephen’s and the Reverend William Edward Boys, vicar from 1917-1930. The buglers of the Third Battalion of the Grenadier Guards sounded ‘The Last Post’ and ‘Reveille’ at the close of the ceremony.

Funds for the memorial were raised by public subscription, to which the Mayor, the Hon. A P Henderson, contributed generously. It cost £300 to erect, including £195 for the obelisk.

Details

War memorial, unveiled in 1923. The war memorial is set in a small circular enclosure at the south end of the Clewer Memorial Recreation Ground fronting Dedworth Road.

Materials: Cornish granite.

Description: the memorial consists of a tapering obelisk formed of granite blocks, with a stepped base. It stands on a granite plinth which bears the inscription: “TO THE GLORIOUS DEAD/ OF THIS PARISH 1914-1918/ ALSO TO THE FALLEN OF THE/ SECOND WORLD WAR/ AND SUBSEQUENT ACTIONS/ (Names)”. A fountain basin is attached to the south facing side of the plinth, below the dedication. The plinth is supported by a granite base.

Sources

Websites
Clewer Village War Dead - The Royal Windsor Website, accessed 18th December 2018 from http://www.thamesweb.co.uk/windsor/windsorhistory/wartime/ClewerVillageWarDead.htm
War Memorials Online, accessed 18th December 2018 from https://www.warmemorialsonline.org.uk/memorial/216143
War Memorials Register, accessed 18th December 2018 from https://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/7942
Other
Clewer Memorial Recreational Ground - Management Plan 2009 to 2019. The Royal Borough of Windsor & Maidenhead

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].