Monk Sherborne War Memorial

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1462471
Date first listed:
20-Feb-2019
Location Description:
Junction of Salters Heath Road and Monk Sherborne Road, Monk Sherborne, Hampshire (NGR: S6091856074)

Map

Ordnance survey map of Monk Sherborne War Memorial
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1462471 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Sep-2019 at 02:19:36.

Location

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Location Description:
Junction of Salters Heath Road and Monk Sherborne Road, Monk Sherborne, Hampshire (NGR: S6091856074)
County:
Hampshire
District:
Basingstoke and Deane (District Authority)
Parish:
Monk Sherborne
National Grid Reference:
SU6091856073

Summary

First World War memorial, unveiled in 1923. The designer is not currently known. The names of the fallen of the Second World War were subsequently added.

Reasons for Designation

Monk Sherborne War Memorial, Monk Sherborne, Hampshire is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:

Historic interest:

* as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on the local community, and the sacrifice it made in the conflicts of the C20.

Architectural interest:

* as a well-executed example of one of the common forms of First World War memorial.

History

The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever with tens of thousands of memorials erected across England. This was the result of both the huge impact on communities of the loss of three quarters of a million British lives, and also the official policy of not repatriating the dead, which meant that the memorials provided the main focus of the grief felt at this great loss.

Monk Sherborne War Memorial was unveiled in June 1923 by Reverend Geoffrey Harold Woolley VC (1892-1968) who had been the first Territorial soldier to receive a Victoria Cross, for his bravery at the Battle of Ypres (20-21 April 1915). Additional names were added after the Second World War. In 2002 a metal fence was erected round the memorial to celebrate the Golden Jubilee of Elizabeth II.

Details

First World War memorial, unveiled in 1923. The designer is not currently known. The names of the fallen of the Second World War were subsequently added.

MATERIALS: Portland stone.

DESCRIPTION: the memorial is located on a traffic island at the junction of Salters Heath Road and Monk Sherborne Road. It consists of a wheel cross with Celtic knot decoration on a tapering rectangular shaft with a moulded capital. This is mounted on a tapering plinth set on an octagonal base. A carved scroll at the top of the shaft bears the legend ‘IN MEMORIAM’ in relief. The front face of the plinth bears the inscription ‘GREATER LOVE HATH NO MAN THAN THIS’. The names of the fallen are inscribed on the shaft with the eight names from the First World War followed by the date 1939-1945 and the four names from the Second World War.

The memorial is surrounded by a low metal fence* with gilded pineapple finials to the corner posts, installed in 2002.

* Pursuant to s1 (5A) of the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 (‘the Act’) it is declared that the metal fence is not of special architectural or historic interest.

Sources

Websites
Imperial War Museum War Memorials Register: 21199 - Monk Sherborne Memorial Wheel Cross, accessed 15 January 2019 from https://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/21199
War Memorials Online: 132612 - Monk Sherborne War Memorial, accessed 15 January 2019 from www.warmemorialsonline.org.uk/memorial/132612

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].