Sheepstor War Memorial

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1462644
Date first listed:
21-Feb-2019
Statutory Address:
Church of St Leonard, Sheepstor, Devon, PL20 6PF

Map

Ordnance survey map of Sheepstor War Memorial
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1462644 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Sep-2019 at 03:21:28.

Location

Statutory Address:
Church of St Leonard, Sheepstor, Devon, PL20 6PF

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Devon
District:
West Devon (District Authority)
Parish:
Sheepstor
National Park:
DARTMOOR
National Grid Reference:
SX5600067643

Summary

A First World War memorial, unveiled in 1920 and altered following the Second World War.

Reasons for Designation

Sheepstor War Memorial is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:

Architectural interest:

* it is a dignified and sombre stone cross, neatly made and well-proportioned.

Historic interest:

* as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact on the local community of the events of the First World War.

Group value:

* it has good group value with other nearby listed buildings, including the Grade I-listed church and the Grade II-listed Lych Gate.

History

The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever with tens of thousands of memorials erected across England. This was the result of both the huge impact on communities of the loss of three quarters of a million British lives, and also the official policy of not repatriating the dead: therefore the memorials provided the main focus of the grief felt at this great loss.

One such memorial was raised at Sheepstor as a permanent testament to the sacrifice made by the members of the local community who lost their lives in the First World War.

The memorial was unveiled on Wednesday 29 September 1920 by Lady Albertha Lopes and dedicated by the Archdeacon of Plymouth. It was paid for by public subscription. The granite from which the cross and base are made was quarried in Sheepstor and was given by Mrs John Bayly, and the steps were given by Miss Bayly of Yelverton.

The names of two parishioners who fell during the Second World War were subsequently added to the memorial.

Details

A First World War memorial, unveiled in 1920 and altered following the Second World War.

MATERIALS: the memorial is made of granite quarried within Sheepstor parish with slate panels.

PLAN: the memorial stands in the churchyard at St Leonard's Church, a short distance from the Andrew headstone and the Brooke monuments.

DESCRIPTION: the memorial comprises a rough-hewn plain Latin cross on a tapering square plinth with a two-stepped square base. It is carved from pale grey granite.

The main inscription is in incised lettering on a recessed slate panel on the eastern face of the plinth, and reads:

IN/ GRATEFUL MEMORY OF/ (NAMES)/ OF THIS PARISH/ WHO GAVE THEIR LIVES FOR THEIR KING AND/ COUNTRY IN THE GREAT WAR 1914-19/ GREATER LOVE HATH NO MAN THAN THIS THAT/ A MAN LAY DOWN HIS LIFE FOR HIS FRIENDS/ ST JOHN 15 V. 13

A further inscription in incised letter on a recessed slate panel on the western face of the plinth reads:

1939 - 1945/ (NAMES)/ OF THIS PARISH.

Sources

Websites
Imperial War Museum War Memorials Register, accessed 9.11.2017 from http://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/2923
War Memorials Online database, accessed 9.11.2017 from https://www.warmemorialsonline.org.uk/memorial/
Other
'Sheepstor War Memorial', Western Daily News, 2.10.1920

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].