Salcombe Regis War Memorial

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1462694
Date first listed:
28-Feb-2019
Statutory Address:
Soldiers Hill, Salcombe Regis, Sidmouth, Devon, EX10 0JH

Map

Ordnance survey map of Salcombe Regis War Memorial
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1462694.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Nov-2019 at 02:13:32.

Location

Statutory Address:
Soldiers Hill, Salcombe Regis, Sidmouth, Devon, EX10 0JH

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Devon
District:
East Devon (District Authority)
Parish:
Sidmouth
National Grid Reference:
SY1452188711

Summary

First World War memorial, unveiled in 1920, with later additions for the Second World War.

Reasons for Designation

Salcombe Regis War Memorial is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:

Historic interest:

* as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on the local community, and the sacrifice it made in the conflicts of the C20.

Architectural interest:

* for its well-executed and sombre design by Herbert Read of St Sidwell’s Art Works in Exeter.

History

The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever with tens of thousands of memorials erected across England. This was the result of both the huge impact on communities of the loss of three quarters of a million British lives, and also the official policy of not repatriating the dead which meant that the memorials provided the main focus of the grief felt at this great loss.

One such memorial was raised at Salcombe Regis as a permanent testament to the sacrifice made by seven members of the local community who died in the First World War. It was unveiled on 14 August 1920 by Brigadier-General MC Curry, and was dedicated by the Reverend Canon D McLaren during a well-attended ecumenical service. The memorial was provided by sculptor and carver Herbert Read of St Sidwell’s Art Works, Exeter.

Herbert Read (1885–1951) was responsible for producing a number of war memorials in Devon, including the Grade-II listed memorials at Peamore, Lapford, and Lympstone. Continuing his father’s business Read produced numerous church fittings following the First World War, and is particularly noted for his work salvaging and preserving ecclesiastical material during the Second World War. For example, he secured the Bishop’s throne at Exeter Cathedral, and dismantled and later re-erected churches in the Slapton Sands area to protect them from damage during military rehearsals for the Normandy landings.

The names of nine local men who fell during the Second World War were subsequently added to the memorial.

Details

First World War memorial, unveiled in 1920, with later additions for the Second World War.

DESCRIPTION The memorial stands at a fork in the main road to the south-west of the village. It is constructed of Cornish granite and comprises a plain Latin cross, with chamfered edges ending in broach stops at the foot of the shaft, set upon a low, square pedestal with shouldered corners. It stands on a two-stepped octagonal base.

The principal dedicatory inscription is in applied metal lettering on the front (south-east) face of the pedestal and reads LAUS DEO/ REMEMBER THE MEN OF SALCOMBE REGIS/ WHO GAVE THEIR LIVES FOR KING AND/ COUNTRY IN THE GREAT WAR 1914-1918. The names of the seven First World War fallen are recorded on the three front faces of the upper step of the base.

On the rear (north-west) face of the pedestal is the additional inscription: REMEMBER ALSO THOSE/ WHO GAVE THEIR LIVES/ IN THE WAR 1939-1945. The names of the nine Second World War fallen are listed on the three rear faces of the base’s upper step.

Sources

Websites
Imperial War Museum War Memorials Register, accessed 25 January 2019 from http://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/69968
War Memorials Online database, accessed 25 January 2019 from https://www.warmemorialsonline.org.uk/memorial/179549
Other
Salcombe Regis Cross, Western Morning News, 17 August 1920, p8
Salcombe Regis Memorial, Western Times, 17 August 1920, p6

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].