Eakring War Memorial

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1462821
Date first listed:
03-May-2019
Statutory Address:
Church of St Andrew, Church Lane, Eakring, Nottinghamshire, NG22 0DA

Map

Ordnance survey map of Eakring War Memorial
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1462821 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Sep-2019 at 01:38:03.

Location

Statutory Address:
Church of St Andrew, Church Lane, Eakring, Nottinghamshire, NG22 0DA

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Nottinghamshire
District:
Newark and Sherwood (District Authority)
Parish:
Eakring
National Grid Reference:
SK6751762174

Summary

First World War memorial, unveiled and dedicated in 1919.

Reasons for Designation

Eakring War Memorial, unveiled and dedicated in 1919, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:

Historic interest:

* as an eloquent witness to the tragic impacts of world events on this community, and the sacrifice it made in the First World War.

Architectural interest:

* as an accomplished and well-realised war memorial which takes the form of a Celtic wheel-head cross and survives unaltered.

Group value:

* with the Church of St Andrew (listed Grade II*).

History

The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever with tens of thousands of memorials erected across England. This was the result of both the huge impact on communities of the loss of three quarters of a million British lives, and also the official policy of not repatriating the dead, therefore the memorials provided the main focus of the grief felt at this great loss.

One such memorial was raised at Eakring as a permanent testament to the sacrifice made by the 12 men of the parish who died during the conflict along with the five who were wounded and the 27 men who served and returned. It was unveiled and dedicated in May 1919 in the grounds of the Church of St Andrew (listed Grade II*).

As Eakring suffered no losses of life during the Second World War the memorial stands unaltered.

Details

First World War memorial, unveiled and dedicated in 1919.

MATERIALS: of granite.

DESCRIPTION: the memorial stands in a prominent position on a large, sloping bank at the entrance to the Church St Andrew (listed Grade II*), around 15m to the north-west of the north porch.

The memorial, which stands some 2.5m high, comprises a Celtic wheel-head cross set atop a shaft which tapers in rectangular section from a roughly-hewn trapezoidal plinth. The west (front) face of the wheel-head is decorated with interlaced ornamentation in low relief while the polished cross shaft has three blind panels raised in low relief. On the north, south and west sides of the plinth are polished, recessed panels which hold the lead inscriptions. The west (front) face contains the principal dedicatory inscription which reads 'ERECTED IN TOKEN OF / GRATITUDE TO GOD / FOR VICTORY AND TO THE / HONOUR OF THE MEN OF / EAKRING WHO SERVED / IN THE GREAT WAR / 1914-1918' and the names of the 12 men who died. On the north face are the names of five men who were wounded and eight men who served, while the south face contains the names of a further 27 men who served.

Sources

Websites
Information on Eakring War Memorial from the Imperial War Museum's War Memorials Register, accessed 31 January 2019 from https://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/27137
Information on Eakring War Memorial from the Southwell and Nottingham Church History Project website , accessed 31 January 2019 from http://southwellchurches.nottingham.ac.uk/eakring/hwarmem.php
Other
Information on Eakring War Memorial from Nottinghamshire County Council's Historic Environment Record: HER Number M18748 - MNT26399, Eakring War Memorial

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].