Topsham War Memorial

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1462899
Date first listed:
13-Mar-2019
Statutory Address:
Topsham War Memorial, Church of St Margaret, Fore Street, Topsham, Devon, EX3 0HN

Map

Ordnance survey map of Topsham War Memorial
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1462899 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Sep-2019 at 02:09:55.

Location

Statutory Address:
Topsham War Memorial, Church of St Margaret, Fore Street, Topsham, Devon, EX3 0HN

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Devon
District:
Exeter (District Authority)
Parish:
Non Civil Parish
National Grid Reference:
SX9655988038

Summary

A First World War memorial, built 1920; altered after the Second World War.

Reasons for Designation

Topsham War Memorial, which stands in a prominent roadside location to the east of the Church of St Margaret, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:

Historic interest

* as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on the local community, and the sacrifice it made in the conflicts of the C20;

Architectural interest

* as a simple yet elegant example of a plain Latin cross type of memorial;

Group value

* with the Grade II*-listed Church of St Margaret.

History

The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever with tens of thousands of memorials erected across England. This was the result of both the huge impact on communities of the loss of 750,000 British lives, and also the official policy of not repatriating the dead which meant that the memorials provided the main focus of the grief felt at this great loss. One such memorial was raised at Topsham, as a permanent testament to the sacrifice made by 69 members of the local community who lost their lives in the First World War.

The memorial was unveiled and dedicated on Sunday 28 November 1920 by the vicar, Reverend Guy Halliday. The cost of the memorial was approximately £200 which was met by public subscription.

The names of 23 parishioners who were lost during the Second World War were subsequently added to the memorial.

Details

A First World War memorial, built 1920; altered after the Second World War.

MATERIALS: granite.

DESCRIPTION: the memorial stands in a prominent roadside location to the east of the Church of St Margaret (Grade II*).

The memorial comprises a plain Latin cross with a gently tapering octagonal shaft on a three-tiered octagonal plinth and single-stepped octagonal base.

On the upper tier of the plinth around five sides are inscribed in leaded lettering the 69 names of the fallen. On the middle tier of the plinth is inscribed THEIR NAME/ LIVETH FOR/ EVERMORE; and on the lower tier of the plinth1914 – 1918. An additional inscription in leaded lettering has the names of the 23 who were lost in World War Two on the remaining faces of the upper tier of the plinth, with the dates 1939-1945 on the lower tier.

Sources

Websites
Heritage Gateway – Devon and Dartmoor HER number: MDV104714 , accessed 22/02/2019 from http://www.heritagegateway.org.uk/Gateway/Results_Single.aspx?resourceID=104&uid=MDV104714
Imperial War Museum War Memorials Register - Topsham, accessed 06/02/2019 from http://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/25421
War Memorials Online database - Topsham, accessed 06/02/2019 from https://www.warmemorialsonline.org.uk/memorial/167190/
Other
‘Topsham War Memorial’, Western Times, Monday 29 November 1920.

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].