Almeley War Memorial

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1462968
Date first listed:
05-Mar-2019
Statutory Address:
opposite the Church of St Mary, Almeley, Herefordshire, HR3 6LD

Map

Ordnance survey map of Almeley War Memorial
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1462968.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Nov-2019 at 02:44:41.

Location

Statutory Address:
opposite the Church of St Mary, Almeley, Herefordshire, HR3 6LD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
County of Herefordshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Almeley
National Grid Reference:
SO3331751529

Summary

A First World War memorial, designed by sculptor William G Storr Barber, erected in 1919; altered by the addition of further names following the Second World War.

Reasons for Designation

Almeley War Memorial is listed at Grade II, for the following principal reasons:

Historic interest:

* as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on the church’s community, and the sacrifice it made in the conflicts of the C20.

Architectural interest:

* for its design, a well-executed inscribed pedestal surmounted by the poignant sculpted figure of a First World War infantry soldier.

Group value:

* with Church House Barn (Grade II), the Church of St Mary (Grade I), a churchyard cross (Grade II), a water pump (Grade II) and Almeley House (Grade II).

History

The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever with tens of thousands of memorials erected across England. This was the result of both the huge impact on communities of the loss of three quarters of a million British lives, and also the official policy of not repatriating the dead: therefore the memorials provided the main focus of the grief felt at this great loss.

One such memorial was raised at Almeley as a permanent testament to the sacrifice made by the members of the local community who lost their lives in the First World War. It was designed by William G Storr Barber (sculptor) of Leominster, who erected similar memorials at nearby New Radnor and Dilwyn and designed the Royal Marines memorial on Plymouth Hoe. The memorial was unveiled on 11 August 1919 by Major-General Sir Elliott Wood.

The names of those parishioners who fell during the Second World War were subsequently added to the memorial.

Details

A First World War memorial, designed by sculptor William G Storr Barber, erected in 1919; altered by the addition of further names following the Second World War.

MATERIALS Portland stone.

DESCRIPTION The memorial takes the form of a statue of a First World War infantry soldier with head bowed, holding an inverted rifle and helmet, standing on a high, square-section stone plinth on a two-stepped square stone platform.

The main inscription in incised lettering on the west face of the plinth reads: THE GREAT WAR/ 1914–1918/ THIS MEMORIAL IS ERECTED BY THE/ GRATEFUL PARISH OF ALMELEY TO/ COMMEMORATE THE NAMES OF ITS/ FAITHFUL SONS WHO FOUGHT AND/ DIED FOR ENGLAND AND LIBERTY/ (19 NAMES)/.

An additional inscription on the upper step of the base reads: ALSO/ 1939–1945/ (6 NAMES)/.

Sources

Websites
Imperial War Museum War Memorials Register: Almeley War Memorial, accessed 06.02.2019 from https://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/32209
War Memorials Online Database, Almeley War Memorial WMO166644 , accessed 06.02.2019 from https://www.warmemorialsonline.org.uk/memorial/166644/
Other
War Memorial Art at Home, in ‘Our Notebook’, Illustrated London News, Saturday 23 August 1919

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].