Alston War Memorial

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1463516
Date first listed:
18-Apr-2019
Statutory Address:
Roadside A686, Junction with A689, Alston, Cumbria, CA9 3RP

Map

Ordnance survey map of Alston War Memorial
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1463516 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Sep-2019 at 21:02:59.

Location

Statutory Address:
Roadside A686, Junction with A689, Alston, Cumbria, CA9 3RP

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Cumbria
District:
Eden (District Authority)
Parish:
Alston Moor
National Grid Reference:
NY7155046100

Summary

First World War memorial, 1922 with Second World War additions.

Reasons for Designation

Alston War Memorial, erected 1922, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:

Historic interest:

* as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on the local community, and the sacrifice it made in the conflicts of the C20.

Architectural interest:

* a well-crafted design, in the form of an obelisk executed in local limestone and red sandstone.

History

The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever with tens of thousands of memorials erected across England.  This was the result of both the huge impact on communities of the loss of three quarters of a million British lives, and also the official policy of not repatriating the dead, which meant that the memorials provided the main focus of the grief felt at this great loss. 

One such war memorial was raised at Alston as a permanent testament to the sacrifice made by members of the local community who lost their lives in the First World War. The memorial was erected in 1922 on land donated by The Raise Estate (Isaac Walton of London) to commemorate 39 local servicemen who fell in the First World War. It was constructed by Messrs C Parkin & Son of Crosby Ravenworth, with groundworks by Messrs Craig Brothers of Alston. The total cost was £500, raised by a donation from the Raise Estate and by public subscription. The memorial was unveiled on 4 September 1922 by the Earl of Lonsdale and dedicated by the vicar, the Reverend Harvey Rowse, RN. The service was also attended by the Lord Mayor of Newcastle (whose brother is named on the memorial), the local MP and representatives of the District Council, Churches, ex-servicemen, relatives of the Fallen, the Alston Band and local school children. After the Second World war an additional 12 names were added.

The memorial received a grant of £6,230 from the War Memorials Trust in 2016 towards a conservation and repair scheme that included steam cleaning to improve legibility, repairs to paving and walls, and re-pointing.

Details

First World War memorial, 1922 with Second World War additions.

MATERIALS: a Westmorland limestone obelisk and Penrith red sandstone paving.

DESCRIPTION: the war memorial is located in a prominent position at the junction of the A686 and A689. It stands about 3m high and is in the form of limestone obelisk set upon a tall plinth with a moulded cap and carved wreaths to each of the four faces. It has a deep moulded foot, surmounting a four-stepped square base. The monument is set within a semi-circular area paved with red sandstone slabs, defined by a wall to the rear and a kerb to the roadside. The inscription on the front of the plinth is incised blacked lettering and reads: THIS MONUMENT IS ERECTED TO THE/ GLORIOUS MEMORY/ OF THOSE OF ALSTON/ WHO GAVE THEIR LIVES IN THE GREAT WAR/ 1914 - 1918/ AND/ 1939 - 1945/ THEIR NAME LIVETH FOR EVERMORE/ (names). Further names are inscribed on the sides.



Sources

Websites
Imperial War Museum Inventory, accessed 07-03-2019 from http://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/3893
War Memorials Online , accessed 07-03-2019 from https://www.warmemorialsonline.org.uk/memorial/162603/
War Memorials Trust Grants Showcase , accessed 07-03-2019 from http://www.warmemorials.org/search-grants/?gID=1405

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].